Private Health Insurance Ombudsman
The Private Health Insurance Ombudsman is an Australian Government agency but acts independently of the government in investigating complaints involving private health insurance and reporting. The role and functions of the office are contained in Sections 230- 256 of the Private Health Insurance Act 2007.
Role and functionsEdit
The office protects the interests of people who are covered by private health insurance by investigating complaints and assisting in the resolution of complaints. It also publishes independent information about private health insurance and the performance of health funds. According to the Australian Government's website, the ombudsman "provides private health insurance members with an independent service for health insurance problems and enquiries."
The office has stated that it expects to fulfill this role by handling complaints in a high quality manner; by providing information and advice to consumers; and by providing information, advice, and recommendations to the Government.
Samantha Gavel was appointed Ombudsman on 1 April 2008 for a three-year term. Gavel held the position until she was appointed National Health Practitioner Ombudsman and Privacy Commissioner in January 2015. David McGregor was appointed acting Private Health Insurance Ombudsman until 30 June 2015, when the Private Health Insurance Ombudsman was merged with the Commonwealth Ombudsman.
- Private Health Insurance Ombudsman (PHIO)
- Health Directory
- Private Health Insurance Act 2007
- Statement of Expectations from Australian Minister of Health Nicola Roxon, 25 May 2009
- Statement of Intent from Samantha Gavel, 9 July 2009, in response to Nicola Roxon's Statement of Expectations
- Private Health Insurance Administration Council website, retrieved 20 February 2012
- PHIO's Annual Reports Archived 2016-01-06 at the Wayback Machine.
- Australian Government site
- Statement of Intent, 9 July 2009
- Australian Senate: THE REVIEW OF THE HEALTH LEGISLATION (PRIVATE HEALTH INSURANCE REFORM) AMENDMENT ACT 1995
- 1999-2000 Budget Department of Health & Ageing Outcome 3
- Appointment of Acting Private Health Insurance Ombudsman
- Media Release: Minister for Health & Ageing
- Samantha Gavel, current PHIO has been appointed National Health Practitioner Ombudsman and Privacy Commissioner