Princeton Community Japanese Language School
The Princeton Community Japanese Language School (PCJLS; プリンストン日本語学校 Purinsuton Nihongo Gakkō) is a Japanese weekend school in the Princeton, New Jersey area. It holds weekend Japanese classes for Japanese citizen children abroad to the standard of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT), and it also has classes for people with Japanese as a second language.
The school's Japanese Ministry of Education (MEXT)-compliant classes are part of its Division 1. The principal of Division 1 is funded by MEXT. In addition, the school offers Japanese heritage language courses, Japanese as a foreign language courses, and courses for adults as part of Division 2, which is oriented to children attending university in the United States and other persons from English-dominant households. The school's teachers developed their own kanji textbooks for use in these courses. Placement into a particular division involves consultations in which the student, the parents, and/or PCJLS teachers are involved.
Many PCJLS students are U.S. permanent residents with at least some Japanese ancestral origin, including multilingual students with one or more parents who speak a language not English and/or not Japanese, and/or bilingual students living in English-dominant households. These students often attend heritage classes and/or Japanese as a second language courses.
Parents, as of 2012, make up 70% of the teachers at PCJLS.
- Japanese Weekend School of New York - Another Japanese weekend school system in the New York City area
- Kano, Naomi (加納 なおみ Kanō Naomi). "Japanese Community Schools: New Pedagogy for a Changing Population" (Chapter 6). In: García, Ofelia, Zeena Zakharia, and Bahar Otcu (editors). Bilingual Community Education and Multilingualism: Beyond Heritage Languages in a Global City (Volume 89 of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism). Multilingual Matters, 2012. ISBN 184769800X, 9781847698001. START: p. 99.
- Direction & Map. Princeton Community Japanese Language School. Accessed May 9, 2014.
- "Home." Princeton Community Japanese Language School. Retrieved on February 14, 2015. "プリンストン日本語学校オフィス 14 Moore Street, Princeton, NJ 08542" and "Sunday Office Rider University, Memorial Hall, Rm301"
- Kano, p. 106. "Princeton Community Japanese Language School (PCJLS) is a weekend school[...]It is the leading Japanese school in the greater New York region[...]"
- Kano, p. 107.
- Kano, p. 108.
- Kano, p. 109.