Primetime (TV channel)
Primetime was a pay-per-view TV channel which broadcasts to the United Kingdom and Ireland. The channel was available on Sky channel 498 and through Virgin Media's On Demand service. Primetime also offered live streams via their website.
|Launched||17 October 2009|
|Closed||21 December 2013|
|Picture format||576i (16:9 SDTV)|
|Broadcast area||United Kingdom|
(at time of closure)
|Virgin Media||On Demand|
Primetime was launched in 2009 with the Super Six World Boxing Classic. The first fight broadcast was a double bill of Arthur Abraham vs. Jermain Taylor and Carl Froch vs Andre Dirrell live from the Trent FM Arena in Nottingham on 17 October 2009. A few viewers experienced technical difficulties on this first event and as such there were some customer complaints. Primetime went on to show all of the group stage one and group stage two events from the Super Six World Boxing Classic including Froch vs Kessler on 24 April 2010. This fight was nearly cancelled due to the Icelandic ash cloud.
On 16 April 2011 Primetime broadcast Amir Khan vs. Paul McCloskey. This began a relationship with Golden Boy Promotions and lead to the channel showing Amir Khan vs. Zab Judah  and Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Victor Ortiz.
Other promotion dealsEdit
Towards the end of 2011 Primetime also started working with Top Rank showing Manny Pacquiao vs Juan Manuel Márquez for their third battle. Primetime continued their relationship with Top Rank by showing the Manny Pacquiao vs Timothy Bradley on 9 June 2012. Primetime broadcast the comeback fight of Ricky Hatton on 24 November 2012, providing the UK broadcast as well as providing the world feed of the event. Primetime previously broadcast live Polish Ekstraklasa football matches in a deal with Sports Tonight Live.
Primetime closed on 21 December 2013, just 4 days before Christmas Day. Its license was transferred to SonLife, which was also removed on 6 December 2013, but was restored on 16 January 2014.
- Hickman, Niall (15 October 2009). "Froch aims to tie Dirrell up in Notts". Daily Express. Retrieved 26 April 2013.
- Dirs, Ben (19 April 2010). "Carl Froch's bout with Mikkel Kessler to defy ash cloud". BBC Sport. Retrieved 26 April 2013.
- "Primetime Secure Virgin On Demand for Klitschko-Chambers and Froch-Kessler". Boxing News 24. 18 March 2010. Retrieved 26 April 2013.
- Marsh, Geoff (14 October 2010). "Briggs: I'll knock out both Klitschkos". Daily Star. Retrieved 26 April 2013.
- "Primetime confirmed as new home for Khan v McCloskey". BoxRecNews. 11 April 2011. Retrieved 26 April 2013.
- Hubbard, Alan (17 July 2011). "Boxing: Khan looks the part for showdown with veteran Judah". The Independent. Retrieved 26 April 2013.
- "Primetime Help". UK BOXING. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- "Live Polish Football On TV | Polish Ekstraklasa On TV - UK". Live-footballontv.com. Retrieved 26 April 2013.