Pride and Prejudice (1958 TV series)
Pride and Prejudice is a 1958 British television adaptation of the novel of the same name, which aired on the BBC. Cast included Alan Badel, Pamela Binns, Jane Downs, Susan Lyall Grant, Marian Spencer, Vivienne Martin, Hugh Sinclair, William Squire, Joan Carol, Jeanne Elvin, Colin Jeavons, Barbara New, and Greta Watson. Six half-hour episodes were produced, presumably aired live (since that was usually the case with BBC drama of the era), and telerecorded for overseas broadcast. All six episodes are believed to be lost. The designer was Stephen Bundy, adaptation by Cedric Wallis and the producer was Barbara Burnham.
- Jane Downs as Elizabeth Bennet
- Alan Badel as Mr. Darcy
- Pamela Binns as Mary Bennet
- Susan Lyall Grant as Jane Bennet
- Marian Spencer as Mrs. Bennet
- Vivienne Martin as Lydia Bennet
- Hugh Sinclair as Mr. Bennet
- William Squire as Mr. Bingley
- Joan Carol as Mrs. Gardiner
- Jeanne Elvin as Servant
- Colin Jeavons as Mr. Wickham
- Barbara New as Charlotte Lucas
- Greta Watson as Caroline Bingley
- Hamilton Dyce as Mr. Gardiner
- Jack May as Mr. Collins
- Phyllis Neilson-Terry as Lady Catherine de Bourgh
- Robert Crewsdon as Colonel Fitzwilliam
- Jeremy Geidt as Captain Denny
- Hazel Hughes as Lady Lucas
- Madoline Thomas as Mrs. Reynolds
The series was exported to Australia where it was shown on ABC. A reviewer for The Australian Women's Weekly called it "delightful", said "for out-of-this-world entertainment I'll nominate Jane Austen", and praised the performances of Jane Downs and Alan Badel. A still photograph appeared in an earlier edition of the magazine.
- "Lost UK TV Shows Search Engine". lostshows.com. Retrieved 2015-04-02.
- "21 Jan 1959 – TELE VISION PARADE Congratulations are in order ..." trove.nla.gov.au. Retrieved 2015-04-02.
- "03 Dec 1958 – TELEVISION PARADE". trove.nla.gov.au. Retrieved 2015-04-02.