Michelle Obama on the cover of the November 2009 issue of Prevention
|Founder||J. I. Rodale|
|Based in||New York, NY|
History and ProfileEdit
The neutrality of this section is disputed. (August 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Founded in 1950 by J.I. Rodale, Prevention grew out of his interest in exploring the connection between human health and organic agriculture. Originally advertised as "a medical journal for the people," the magazine launch attracted more than 50,000 subscribers. Already controversial for his views promoting organic agriculture, Rodale was determined that the content of his health magazine would be based upon findings in scientific journals, a commitment that continues to this day.
Rodale Press, along with Prevention magazine, were among the first publishers to refuse alcohol and tobacco advertising, as well as junk foods or any food with too many additives. Prevention was the first magazine to state that fresh food was better than processed, to warn that pesticides were posing a danger to the food supply, to promote the benefits of exercise, and to link emotions and attitude with health.
In 2018, Prevention was acquired by Hearst Magazines along with four other Rodale brands (Men's Health, Women's Health, Runner's World, and Bicycling). Today, Prevention is published in both the US and Australia.
- J. I. Rodale (1950–1971)
- Robert Rodale (1971–1990)
- Mark Bricklin (1991–1997)
- Anne Alexander (1997–2000)
- Elizabeth Crow (2001–2002)
- Rosemary Ellis (2003–2006)
- Liz Vaccariello (2006–2010)
- Diane Salvatore (2010–2012)
- Anne Alexander (2012–2014)
- Bruce Kelley (2014–2015)
- Barbara O'Dair (2016–2018)
- Jane Francisco (2018—Present)
- "eCirc for Consumer Magazines". Audit Bureau of Circulations. December 31, 2014. Retrieved June 24, 2015.
- "Prevention | Hearst". www.hearst.com. Retrieved 2018-11-05.
- Gross, Daniel (2008). Our Roots Grow Deep: The Story of Rodale. Emmaus, PA: Rodale.
- Dougherty, Philip H. "Advertising; Magazine Departure For Rodale". Retrieved 2018-11-05.
- Prevention magazine 50th anniversary issue, September 2000, Editor's letter
- "Hearst's Acquisition of Rodale Brings Sweeping Changes to Several Titles - Folio:". Folio:. 2018-01-09. Retrieved 2018-11-05.