Prescott High School (Arizona)
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (July 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Prescott High School is a public high school located in the city of Prescott, Arizona. It is the only high school in the Prescott Unified School District. Historically, Prescott High School drew students from various adjacent school districts, mostly in Prescott Valley (Humboldt Unified School District) and Chino Valley, Arizona (Chino Valley Unified School District); those districts later established their own high schools.
|Prescott High School|
Home of the Badgers
1050 N. Ruth Street
|School district||Prescott Unified School District|
|Student to teacher ratio||23.91|
|Color(s)||Blue and Gold|
|Website||Prescott High School|
Academics and programsEdit
PHS offers a solid academic program, including Advanced Placement and Honors courses. Courses offered include Business & Technology, English, Family & Consumer Science, Fine Arts, Foreign Language, Industrial Technology, Air Force Junior ROTC, Mathematics, PEAK, Physical Education, Science, Social Studies, and Special Education. Students also have the opportunity to participate in athletics, theater, orchestra, choir, band, jazz band, Academic Decathlon, and vocational education programs.
Awards and accreditationEdit
The Arizona Department of Education has awarded Prescott High School the distinguished label of "Excelling School" for the last two years[needs update]. Since 1917, the school has been continuously accredited by North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Prescott High School is a member of the Arizona Interscholastic Association and is classified in the 4A Conference for schools with an enrollment of 950–1899 students.
FALL sports include Badminton-Girls (Var/JV), Cross Country-Boys / Girls (Var/JV), Golf (Varsity only), Football (Var/JV/Frosh), Swimming-Boys / Girls (Varsity only), and Volleyball-Girls (Var/JV/Frosh).
Prescott High School has a Fine arts program. It consists of:
Art: Art 1–2, Art 3–4, Art 5–6, Art 7–8, Art AP, Sculpture, Adobe photoshop
Drama: Drama 1–2, Methods of Theater, Music Theatre
Drama productions: Drama Productions 1–2, Drama Productions 3–4
Choir: Women's Choir, Chorale, Show Choir
Band: Orchestra, Symphonic Band, Percussion/Guard, Wind Ensemble, Jazz Ensemble, Marching Band,
Prescott High School offers four different languages, whose levels combined total 11 classes.
Offered languages: French 1–2, French 3–4, French 5–6, German 1-2, German 3-4, Japanese 1–2, Japanese 3–4, Spanish 1–2, Spanish 3–4, Spanish 5–6, Spanish 1–2 for native speakers
- John Denny, Major League Baseball pitcher 1974-86, won the Cy Young award in 1983
- Jason Pridie, Current MLB player (Minnesota Twins, New York Mets, Philadelphia Phillies, Arizona Diamondbacks)
- Nat Russo, fantasy fiction author, Class of 1988
- Brian Stauffer, Award-winning illustrator
- Ken Bennett, Secretary of State of Arizona
- Robert M. Brutinel, Chief Justice of the Arizona Supreme Court
- Fiorello LaGuardia, Mayor of New York City
- Skyler Page, creator of the TV show Clarence
- "Prescott High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved December 29, 2019.
- "PHS grad charts with fantasy novel 'Necromancer Awakening'". http://www.prescottaz.com/. Retrieved 2014-07-03. External link in