Postcards To Voters
Postcards To Voters is a group of American volunteers who write postcards to targeted voters in the hope of increasing Democratic turnout in close, key elections across the country. Founded by Tony McMullin, the group started informally in March 2017 with a handful of volunteers who wrote postcards in support of Georgia congressional candidate Jon Ossoff. By November 2018 it had grown to nearly 40,000 volunteers from every state in the U.S., including Alaska and Hawaii, and sent approximately 3 million postcards. Volunteers write and often decorate the postcards by hand, paying for their own supplies and postage.
|Formation||March 11, 2017|
Although it is not clear exactly how effective the postcards are, a 2007 study showed that handwritten notes were three times as effective as machine-printed ones, and the group has supported more winning than losing candidates. Among the candidates the group has supported are Doug Jones of Alabama, who won a special U.S. Senate election in December 2017; Conor Lamb of Pennsylvania, who won a special U.S. House election in March 2018; and Danny O'Connor of Ohio, who narrowly lost a special U.S House election in August 2018. A full list of races and results can be found on the group's website.
- Tackett, Michael (November 1, 2018). "Writing Postcards Brings Voters Back From the Edge: 'It's Sharpie Therapy'". The New York Times.
- Walker, Melissa (May 16, 2018). "Teenagers Are Helping Flip Seats in 2018 Elections With Postcards to Voters". Teen Vogue.
- Wan, William (November 2, 2018). "Postcards from the left: Resistance groups take aim at Trump, one letter at a time". The Washington Post.
- Basu, Shumita (September 12, 2018). "Grassroots GOTV Campaign Sends 283,000 Handwritten Postcards To New Yorkers Ahead Of State Primary". Gothamist.
- "Press Release: Postcards to Voters Awarded National 'Ally Spotlight' Designation by Democracy Legacy Action". Digital Journal. March 11, 2018.
- Halprin, Lyra (March 2, 2018). "Yolo activists connect with voters across the U.S." Davis Enterprise.
- Stein, Jason (January 15, 2018). "Postcards group looks to Magic Markers, not money, to win over wary voters". Journal Sentinel.
- Russell, Joyce (January 4, 2018). "Sioux City Voters Getting Out-of-Town Postcards in Special Election for Statehouse Seat". Iowa Public Radio.