Porto Palermo Tunnel (Albanian: Tuneli i Porto Palermos) is claimed to be a submarine bunker built in the Socialist People's Republic of Albania during the rule of leader Enver Hoxha. It is situated at the northern end of the bay of Porto Palermo. It is no longer in use as such, but remains in a military restriction zone. Almost certainly its main function was as a homebase for fast attack craft. Unlike submarines, these craft are short range coastal defence vessels that lie hidden during the day near to where they have to operate at night. Albanian Whiskey class submarines were long range vessels and were normally based further from Pashaliman Naval Base in the Bay of Vlore. Retired in 1998, submarines are still located in Pashaliman.
|Porto Palermo Tunnel|
|Near Porto Palermo Castle|
|None, military zone|
|Condition||Not in active use|
|Built by||Communist Albania|
Porto Palermo has been used recently for joint exercises with other countries.
On 28 April 2013, the USS Monterey took part in a four-hour exercise testing the capabilities of the Albanian Naval Force at Porto Palermo. The exercise involved Albanian sailors reacting to simulated distress calls and reports of suspicious activity.
The 2014 Albanian Lion exercise involved Albanian and UK forces practicing an amphibious assault on Porto Palermo. Albanian Lion '14 exercises also took place in Biza, Zall-Herr, Kuçova, and Pashaliman, and was headquartered in Kepi i Palit. The Albanian Ministry of Defense reported that 600 troops and four ships took part in the exercise.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-04-05. Retrieved 2011-09-07.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "USS Monterey Conducts Exercise With Albanian Navy". United States Navy. 29 April 2014. Retrieved 8 June 2016.
- "Royal Marines launch final assualt [sic] on exercise Albanian Lion". UK Ministry of Defense. 17 September 2014. Retrieved 14 May 2016.
- "DV Day of the Albanian-British exercise, "Albanian Lion '14"". Albanian Ministry of Defense. 13 September 2014. Retrieved 14 May 2016.
- "Opening ceremony of the Joint Exercise "Albanian Lion"". Albanian Ministry of Defense. 8 September 2014. Retrieved 14 May 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Porto Palermo submarine base.|
- Historia e Shqiperis ne Kohe Kommuniste, p. 241, published 1996, Olsen