Pop Corn (2003 film)
Pop Corn is a 2003 Indian Tamil-language romantic drama film written and directed by Nassar, and starring Mohanlal and Simran , and introduces newcomers Kunal Shah and Jyothi Naval. The title is short for the phrase "Pop Carnival", with a story-line focusing on why marriages between celebrities can suffer due to conflicts between egos.
|Produced by||Kameela Nassar|
|Written by||S. Ramakrishnan|
|Music by||Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|Edited by||S. Sathesh|
J. N. Harsha
Kana Film Makers
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (September 2020)
Popular music director Vikramaditya returns from a long sabbatical to work with a young music troupe and falls in love with a fusion dancer Jamuna. The two marry but fall apart due to their clashing artistic egos. Vikramaditya's daughter Megha attempts to reunite her father and mother, but fails.
The film was initially set to be titled Theem Thari Kida. In July 2002 the film was reported as being "in the finishing stages." Cinematography is by Sridhar and Vikram Dharma is the stunt master. The film, which had music scored by Yuvan Shankar Raja, was originally released on 24 January 2003, and later dubbed into Malayalam and released in 2007 under the same name.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||4 December 2002|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Producer||Kameela K. Nassar|
|Yuvan Shankar Raja chronology|
The soundtrack was composed by Yuvan Shankar Raja and features seven tracks, the lyrics of which were written by 'Kavignar' Vaali. Although the film's lead actor, Mohanlal, was said to sing one of the songs, titled "Amme Inge Vaa", it did not feature either in the soundtrack or in the film itself.
|1||"Poovaitha Poovil"||Prasanna Rao, Mathangi||4:42|
|2||"Kathalaaki Kaninthathu"||S. P. Balasubramanyam, Srilekha Parthasarathy||4:25|
|3||"Antha Semai Thurai"||Hariharan, Manikka Vinayagam, Sujatha Mohan||5:25|
|4||"Poovellam Paaraddum"||Karthik, Tippu, Pop Shalini||1:38|
|5||"En Isaikku"||Hariharan, Sriram Parthasarathy||4:28|
|6||"Naan Vachen Lesa"||Srinivas, Vasundhara Das||5:19|
Director Nassar predicted that Pop-Corn would be "a big hit", and Sify wrote that Pop-corn "is modern family drama about relationships”, expanding that director Nassar and his music director Yuvan Shanker Raja "created a new fusion music that’s elevated and uplifting."
Now Running felt that the film's actors and their performances made the film tolerable. Mohanlal's role as Vikramaditya was a "finely tuned performance as the popular-singer turned alcoholic", and Simran in her role as Jamuna was captivating. "Going through the myriad of emotions, Simran is at her best".
- Kumar, S.R. Ashok (23 February 2006). "Nasser: a one-man industry". The Hindu. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- staff (2003). "review: Pop-carn". Sify. Archived from the original on 17 November 2003. Retrieved 7 April 2015.
- staff (6 February 2013). "review: Popcarn (2003) (Tamil)". Now Running. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- Kamath, Sudhish (23 January 2002). "Pop goes Nasser's carnival". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 19 February 2016. Retrieved 7 April 2015.
- staff (2003). "Nasser". Sify. Archived from the original on 15 April 2016. Retrieved 7 April 2015.
- staff. "Cinebits". Nilacharal e-magazine. Retrieved 7 April 2015.
- staff (3 July 2002). "Simmering Simran". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 28 November 2002. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Mohan Lal sings in Nasser's Pop Corn". india4u.com. Archived from the original on 13 July 2011. Retrieved 18 April 2009.
- staff (11 December 2002). "At home in every role". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 13 March 2003. Retrieved 8 April 2015.