Poona Sarvajanik Sabha
Pune Sarvajanik Sabha, (Marathi: पुणे सार्वजनिक सभा), was a sociopolitical organisation in British India which started with the aim of working as a mediating body between the government and people of India and to popularise the peasants' legal rights. It started as an elected body of 95 members elected by 6000 persons on April 2, 1870. The organisation was a precursor to the Indian National Congress which started with its first session from Maharashtra itself. The Pune Sarvajanik Sabha provided many of the prominent leaders of national stature to the Indian freedom struggle including Bal Gangadhar Tilak. It was formed in 1870 by S. H. Chiplunkar, Ganesh Vasudeo Joshi, Mahadev Govind Ranade, et al.
The ruler of the Aundh State, Bhawanrao Shriniwasrao Pant Pratinidhi was the first President of the organisation. Many eminent personalities such as Bal Gangadhar Tilak, Gopal Hari Deshmukh, Maharshi Annasaheb Patwardhan, etc. served as the Presidents of the organisation.
In 2016, Meera Pavagi was elected as the first woman President of the organisation.
Notes and referencesEdit
- The preamble of the constitution of the Sabha lays down: "Whereas it has been deemed expedient that there should exist between the Government and people some institution in the shape of a mediating body which may offer to the latter facilities for knowing the real intentions and objectives of the Government, as also adequate means of securing their rights by making timely representations to Government of the real circumstances in which they were placed, an association has been formed and organised under the appellation of Pune Sarvajanik Sabha." as quoted in Johari 1993, p. 17
- Spectrum History
- Johari 1993, p. 17
- Chandra, Bipan (2010). The Rise and Growth of Economic Nationalism in India: Economic Policies of Indian National Leadership, 1880-1905. Har-Anand Publications. ISBN 9788124114179.
- Mehrotra, S. R. (1969). The Poona Sarvajanik Sabha: The Early Phase, 1870-1880. School of Economics.
- Bakshi, Shiri Ram (1 January 1993). Mahadev Govind Ranade: Socio-Economic Ideology. Anmol Publications Pvt. Limited. ISBN 9788170416050.
- "'पुणे सार्वजनिक सभे'चे अध्यक्षपद प्रथमच महिलेकडे". Loksatta (in Marathi). 29 March 2016. Retrieved 18 February 2018.
- The Pune Sarvajanik Sabha: the early phase, 1870-1880 - S. R. Mehrotra
- Johari, JC (1993). Voices of India Freedom Movement. Anmol Publications PVT. LTD. ISBN 978-81-7158-225-9.
- Bakshi, SR (1993). Mahadev Govind Ranade. Anmol Publications PVT. LTD. ISBN 978-81-7041-605-0.
|This Indian history-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|