Plastic wrap, cling film (British), shrink wrap, Saran wrap, cling wrap, food wrap, or pliofilm is a thin plastic film typically used for sealing food items in containers to keep them fresh over a longer period of time. Plastic wrap, typically sold on rolls in boxes with a cutting edge, clings to many smooth surfaces and can thus remain tight over the opening of a container without adhesive. Common plastic wrap is roughly 0.5 Thousandth of an inch (12.5 μm) thick. The trend has been to produce thinner plastic wrap, particularly for household use (where very little stretch is needed), so now the majority of brands on shelves around the world are 8, 9 or 10 μm thick.
Plastic wrap was initially created from polyvinyl chloride (PVC), which remains the most common component globally. PVC allows permeability to water vapor and oxygen transmission, which can add to the duration of peak freshness of the food products wrapped. There are concerns about the transfer of plasticizers from PVC into food.
A common, cheaper alternative to PVC is low-density polyethylene (LDPE). It is less adhesive than PVC, but this can be remedied by adding linear low-density polyethylene (LLDPE), which also increases the film's tensile strength.
In the US and Japan, plastic wrap is sometimes produced using polyvinylidene chloride (PVdC), though some brands, such as Saran wrap, have switched to other formulations due to environmental concerns.
- "Dow SARAN WRAP™ 3 Plastic Film". Retrieved 10 December 2016.
- "FAQs: Microwave, Dishwasher & Freezer Q&A - Glad®". 20 November 2014. Archived from the original on 23 February 2011. Retrieved 10 December 2016.
- Coultate, Tom (2015-08-17). Food: The Chemistry of its Components: 6th Edition. Royal Society of Chemistry. ISBN 9781849738804. Archived from the original on 2016-04-28.
- "Cling Wrap Explained - Darren Barefoot". Archived from the original on 25 September 2016. Retrieved 10 December 2016.
- firstname.lastname@example.org, MICHAEL BURKE Racine Journal Times. "CEO explains why SC Johnson made Saran Wrap less sticky, hurting sales". madison.com. Archived from the original on 2017-06-20. Retrieved 2017-06-20.
- McCall, EM; Alderdice, F; Halliday, HL; Jenkins, JG; Vohra, S (Mar 17, 2010). "Interventions to prevent hypothermia at birth in preterm and/or low birthweight infants". The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (3): CD004210. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD004210.pub4. PMID 20238329.
- Tracey, Mollie (3 March 2016). "Baby born 'inside out' saved by quick-thinking medics who wrapped her cling film". Daily Mirror. Trinity Mirror. Archived from the original on 14 February 2017. Retrieved 13 February 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cling film.|