Piotr Adamczyk (Polish: [ˈpjɔtr aˈdamt͡ʂɨk]; born March 21, 1972) is a Polish film, television and theatre actor. He is known for portraying Karol Wojtyła, who later became Pope John Paul II, in the movie Karol: A Man Who Became Pope and its sequel Karol: The Pope, The Man.
Piotr Aleksander Adamczyk
March 21, 1972
|Education||National Academy of Dramatic Art in Warsaw|
|Occupation||film actor, stage actor|
Early life and educationEdit
From his early childhood Adamczyk wanted to become an actor. He attended the Machulski youth theatre group in Warsaw. Thanks to an international scholarship, he was able to attend international theatre workshops in the United Kingdom and Germany. He continued his acting education by attending the Theatre Academy in Warsaw. During his second academic year, he won a scholarship from the Soros Foundation which allowed him to attend the British American Drama Academy for one year, where he performed Hamlet for his diploma.
Once he graduated from the Theatre Academy, Adamczyk was hired by the Teatr Współczesny in Warsaw. His career in the film industry however grew much more intensively. His role of Stawrogin in Fyodor Dostoyevsky’s The Possessed started Piotr’s long list of roles. The breakthrough in his career was his part as Frédéric Chopin in the film Chopin: Desire for Love - and became a Polish star.
The climax of his popularity was reached when he played the title role of another Polish historical figure in a two part Italian TV movie - Karol the Man who became Pope and Karol: The Pope - The Man. The movie was viewed by several dozen million viewers, and made him popular in Italy, Latin America and many other Catholic countries.
Adamczyk also managed to take advantage of his popularity abroad to play at the Sala Uno Theatre in Rome, in Italian. He also played in Liliana Cavani’s movie Einstein and in the Portuguese production Second Life.
In 2014, Adamczyk, Bartosz Opania and Paweł Domagała starred in the comedy film Wkreceni.
He has been in over 800 radio roles and around 100 theatre, television and film parts. He is also appreciated for his roles in Polish dubbing. In animated films he played, among others, Melman the giraffe in Madagascar, Lightning McQueen in Cars and Syndrome in The Incredibles.
He has received many prestigious awards in Poland. In 2011, he was voted the most popular Polish actor once again.
- Hawkeye (2021) (TV) as Tomas
- For All Mankind (2021) (TV) as Sergei Nikulov
- The Name of the Rose (2019) (TV) as Severinus of Sant'Emmerano
- Titanium White (2016)
- Ant-Man (2015) as Scott Lang/Ant-Man (Polish dubbing)
- Wkreceni (2014) as Franczesko
- Tajemnica Westerplatte as Captain Mieczysław Słaby
- September Eleven 1683 (2012) as Emperor Leopold I
- Second Life (2009)
- Einstein (2008)
- Testosterone (2007)
- Karol: The Pope, The Man (2006) (TV) as Pope John Paul II
- Karol: A Man Who Became Pope (2005) (TV) as Karol Wojtyła
- Dziupla Cezara (2004) (TV series) as Cezary 'Cezar' Kubik
- Pensjonat Pod Różą (2004) (TV series) as Dr. Leon Jacek Kakietek
- Na dobre i na złe (1999) (TV series) as Dr. Jerzy Kozerski
- Łowcy skór (2003) as Dr. Andrzej Kwiatkowski (about the "Skin Hunters" case)
- Ciało (2003) as Parson
- Wszyscy święci (2002) (TV) as Priest in Jedrzejów
- Kariera Nikosia Dyzmy (2002) as English Reader
- Chopin. Pragnienie miłości aka "Chopin: Desire for Love" (2002) as Fryderyk Chopin
- Wrota Europy (1999) as Tadeusz Sztyller
- Egzekutor (1999) as Doctor
- Our God's Brother (1997) as Hubert
- Sława i chwała (1997) (TV) as Józef 'Józio' Royski
- Cwal (1996) as Ksawery
- Spellbinder (1995) TV Series as Zander
- Short biography
- "'You're crazy', (Pope John Paul II) tells (Piotr Adamczyk)", BBC, November 17, 2004