Pine Leaf Boys
The Pine Leaf Boys is a Cajun and Creole band from South Louisiana. Members include Wilson Savoy (accordion, fiddle, vocals), Courtney Granger (fiddle, accordion, vocals), Drew Simon (drums and vocals), Jon Bertrand (guitars), and Thomas David (bass).
Pine Leaf Boys
Pine Leaf Boys at the Blue Moon Saloon.
|Origin||Louisiana, United States|
|Labels||Arhoolie Records, Valcour Records|
|Past members||Cedric Watson|
The band is known for playing traditional Cajun and Creole music from Southwest Louisiana, inspired by bands dating from the 1920s such as Amédé Ardoin to modern bands such as the Mamou Playboys, Jason Frey, Paul Daigle and Cajun Gold all the way up to Wayne Toups. The Pine Leaf Boys are an "international Cajun band," performing many shows each year in Europe. The Pine Leaf Boys were invited on a U.S. State Department Tour in 2009 to the Middle East, playing music in Saudi Arabia, the UAE, and Jerusalem. The band has been nominated for three Grammy Awards. Wilson Savoy, Courtney Granger, and former member Cedric Watson appeared in season 1 episode 7 of the HBO series Treme in 2010.
The Pine Leaf Boys have won numerous awards including four Grammy Award-nominations for Grammy Award for Best Zydeco or Cajun Music Album for their second album Blues de Musicien as well as a Grammy Award-nomination for Homage Au Passé and 2 Cajun French Music Association Awards. They were also in the top 6 of 50 best CDs of the Year according to OffBeat Magazine. They have recently been nominated for a third Grammy award for "Best Cajun Album" of 2009 with the release of their record "Live at Jazz Festival."
In addition to these awards, the Pine Leaf Boys have also been on two US State Department Tours, touring Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Jerusalem in 2009 and Latvia, Denmark and Slovenia in 2010
- La Musique (2006) Arhoolie Records
- Blues de Musicien (2007) Arhoolie Records - Grammy Nominated 2007
- Homage Au Passe (2009) Lionsgate Records - Grammy Nominated 2008
- Live at Jazz Festival 2009 (2009) - Grammy Nominated 2009
- Back Home (2010) Valcour Records - Grammy Nominated 2010
- Pine Leaf Boys (2010?) Valcour Records
- Danser (2013?)
- Allons Boire un Coup: A Collection of Cajun and Creole Drinking Songs compilation, with one song performed by Pine Leaf Boys (2006) Valcour Records