Pico y placa
Pico y placa Literally 'Peak and Plate' (Spanish for peak [hour] and [license] plate") is a driving restriction policy aimed to mitigate traffic congestion. The scheme was initially set in place in Bogotá, Colombia, in 1998, by then mayor Enrique Peñalosa to help regulate traffic during rush hours. The system restricts traffic access into a pre-established urban area for vehicles with license plate numbers ending in certain digits on pre-established days and during certain hours. Initially the system restricted traffic between 6 and 9 am, and between 5 and 8 pm, Monday through Friday.
The scheme restricts both private and public use vehicles based on the last digit of the licence plate numbers. Four numbers are restricted every day for private use vehicles, and two for public transportation vehicles. The restricted digits associated to each day rotate every year. Schemes with the same name have been implemented in other Colombian cities, such as Medellín and Cúcuta; and also in Quito, Ecuador's capital city.
Bogota's Pico y Placa in 2011 is applied to the following plate endings since July 1, 2011 in Bogotá:
- Plate ending in 5, 6, 7, 8: Is restricted from driving on Monday
- 9,0,1,2: Tuesday
- 3,4,5,6: Wednesday
- 7,8,9,0: Thursday
- 1,2,3,4: Friday
- No restrictions on weekends
The following are the current restrictions:
- Even days: even number endings.
- Odd days: odd number endings.
On 9 April, 2020, a pico y género policy was announced to restrict mobility of humans based on gender. The name was based on the pico y placa, and the intent was to further tighten the restrictions of quarantine to combat COVID-19 in Colombia.
Lima Peru driving restriction policyEdit
Starting on July 22nd 2019, the pilot plan 'peak and plate' was launched on main roads of Lima city. It consists in restricting the use of vehicles, according to the registration number (odd or even). The restriction was applied within the framework of the Lima 2019 Pan American Games. Due to its success in reducing traffic in the main 'arteries', the plan has now been extended indefinitely.
- Congestion pricing
- Road space rationing
- IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Society
- Hoy No Circula
- Decreto Districtal de Bogotá http://www.alcaldiabogota.gov.co/sisjur/normas/Norma1.jsp?i=1937
- Pico y placa será todo el día para particulares en Bogotá, a partir del 6 de febrero - El Tiempo] "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-03-08. Retrieved 2009-03-14.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)
- Video: Pico y placa se aplicaría en Quito
- Pico y Placa Bogotá
- Decreto 575 de 2013
- S, Tasha; oval (2020-04-09). "New quarantine policy in the capital: Pico y género". The Bogotá Post. Retrieved 2020-04-24.