Pia Miller (née Loyola; born 2 November 1983) is a Chilean-born Australian fashion model, actress and television presenter. Miller came to prominence after winning Dolly's annual modelling competition. She later competed in the second series of Search for a Supermodel. Miller has appeared in various advertising campaigns for brands such as Myer and Mossimo. She became the co-host of Qantas' in-flight entertainment programs in 2010 and was named the first Australian celebrity tourism ambassador for Chile in 2014.
Miller in 2015
2 November 1983
Viña del Mar, Chile
|Residence||Sydney, New South Wales|
|Occupation||Model, actress, presenter|
|Years active||1998–present (modelling)|
(m. 2007; separated 2015)
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
After taking acting lessons and presentation classes at the National Institute of Dramatic Art in 2009, Miller became a presenter on the travel show Postcards Victoria and made guest appearances in several television shows, including East West 101 and Neighbours. In August 2014, Miller joined the regular cast of Home and Away as Katarina Chapman. She made her screen debut in February 2015.
Pia Loyola was born on 2 November 1983 in Viña del Mar to former fashion designer Angelica Blanco. She left Chile for Australia when she was four-years-old, along with her mother, brother and sister. Her grandmother later joined the family. When she was seven, Miller's mother enrolled her in a modelling school.
In 1998, when she was fourteen, Miller won a modelling competition run by teen magazine Dolly and was given a contract with Chadwick Models. By the time she was sixteen, Miller had travelled around the world for catwalk shows. She finished secondary school by correspondence. Miller appeared on the second series of Search for a Supermodel in 2001. Miller has featured in advertising campaigns for Myer, Mossimo, Midas, Australian Unity, Crown Casino and Jump. She has also been cast in various television commercials and endorsed brands such as Samsung and Cadbury.
In 2009, Miller's image was featured on a T-shirt by designer Nick Bowes for the fashion label KRMA. Actors Adrian Grenier and John Stamos were later spotted wearing the T-shirt. Both Miller and Bowes was surprised by the attention it got, saying "When he asked if he could use the headshot, I thought nothing of it. The success of the T-shirt has caught both of us by surprise. I am really flattered and humbled by it." The following year, Miller was named the official ambassador for the 2010 Australian Grand Prix.
In July, Miller replaced Deborah Hutton as the co-host of Qantas' in-flight entertainment programs. She became the face of Megan Gale's swimwear line for Summer 2012/2013. In 2014, Miller became the first Australian celebrity tourism ambassador for Chile. She also became a brand ambassador for the Mazda CX-5 in January 2015. Later that year, Miller starred in a video for Maybelline promoting their new mascara and eyeliner products. In 2017, Miller became the first Australian ambassador for the Gillette Venus brand. Pia is also a brand ambassador for Caltrate Australia.
Acting and presentingEdit
In 2009, Miller began taking acting lessons, and attended voice and presentation classes at the National Institute of Dramatic Art (NIDA). The following year, she became a presenter on Nine Network's travel show Postcards Victoria. She left the show in 2012. Miller made several appearances on the Network Ten talk show The Circle discussing red carpet fashions. In 2011, Miller appeared in the romantic comedy film Big Mamma's Boy and television crime drama East West 101. The following year, she was cast in Conspiracy 365 and guest starred as Monica Wetherby in an episode of Neighbours. Miller made a guest appearance in Wonderland in 2013.
In August 2014, Miller joined the cast of Home and Away in the regular role of Katarina "Kat" Chapman. Miller began shooting her first scenes two weeks after her audition. She initially commuted to and from Sydney for filming. Kat was introduced as Summer Bay's new policewoman. Miller said she was proud to play a strong character and added "I saw the character breakdown and what excited me the most about this character was that she isn't, in any way, sexualised." Miller made her first screen appearance as Kat on 5 February 2015. She earned a nomination for Best New Talent at the 2016 Logie Awards. On 3 August 2017, Erin Doyle of the Daily Mail Australia reported that Miller was filming her final scenes for the show. News outlets later published photos of the cast filming Kat's funeral. Miller confirmed her departure from the show in October 2017. Her final scenes aired during the 2017 season finale broadcast on 18 December.
In 2018, Miller was cast in the eight-part crime thriller Bite Club on Nine Network. She plays Kate Summers, a former nurse and best friend of Detective Senior Constable Zoe Rawlings (Ash Ricardo), a shark-attack survivor hunting a serial killer. The series also stars Todd Lasance and Dominic Monaghan. Later that year, Miller joined the cast of the live-action film adaptation of Dora the Explorer as Dora's aunt Mami.
Loyola gave birth to her first son, Isaiah, when she was nineteen. In 2005, she began a relationship with AFL footballer Brad Miller. She gave birth to their son, Lennox, in October 2006 and they married in 2007. In 2010, Miller became an Australian citizen. In October 2015, Pia and Brad Miller announced their separation. In November 2017, Miller became engaged to film producer Tyson Mullane.
|2011||East West 101||Ximena|
|Big Mamma's Boy||Maria|
|Project Runway Australia||Herself/guest judge|
|2012||Conspiracy 365||Belinda Scott||Episode: "February"|
|Neighbours||Monica Wetherby||Season 28 (Episode: "6535")|
|2013||Wonderland||Attractive Woman||Episode: "Motherhood"|
|2015–2018||Home and Away||Katarina Chapman||Seasons 28–30 |
Nominated – Logie Award for Best New Talent
|2018||Bite Club||Kate Summers|
|2019||Dora and the Lost City of Gold||Mami||Post-Production|
- "Pia Miller". Chadwick Models. Archived from the original on 25 December 2014. Retrieved 6 January 2015.
- Miller, Megan (29 January 2011). "Pia Miller: The model of motherhood". Herald Sun. Retrieved 6 January 2015.
- Barrett, Peter (8 July 2014). "Kitchen spy". The Age. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- "Pia Miller Bio" (PDF). Chadwick Models. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- Murdaca, Carmarlena (4 August 2014). "Watch out Summer Bay! Meet Home and Away's sexiest new bikini-clad resident". TheFIX. Archived from the original on 6 February 2015. Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- Wells, Rachel; Dunn, Amanda (21 March 2010). "Snitch". The Age. Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- "Pia Miller, the face of Hollywood". news.com.au. 6 August 2009. Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- Byrne, Fiona; Coster, Alice; Webber, Nicola (16 July 2010). "Meet the new face of Qantas". The Australian. Retrieved 3 February 2015.
- Parr, Alison (4 September 2012). "Pia Miller Sizzles in Megan Gale's Latest Isola Swimsuit Campaign". PopSugar. Retrieved 3 February 2015.
- Nissen, Kimberly (6 June 2014). "Pia Miller gives us a taste of Chile". Glam Media, Inc. Archived from the original on 4 October 2015. Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- Parratt, Chanel (3 August 2014). "Actor Pia Miller talks about life by the water and her favourite travel destinations". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- "Mazda CX-5 powers Pia Miller". Mareeba Mazda. 19 January 2015. Retrieved 3 February 2015.
- Longhetti, Chloe-Lee (24 July 2015). "'There's no reason why women can't do it all': Home and Away star Pia Miller goes back to her modelling roots for Maybelline New York". Daily Mail Australia. Retrieved 4 October 2015.
- Crane, Kris (21 August 2017). "Does Pia Miller have her sights set on Hollywood? Rumours run wild over her Home and Away future". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 13 October 2017.
- "Pia Miller aims for a new runway". Herald Sun. 15 July 2010. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- Byrne, Fiona (24 March 2012). "High-flying Pia Miller leaves Channel 9 behind". Herald Sun. Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- Kilkelly, Daniel (24 August 2012). "'Neighbours': Model Pia Miller films guest role". Digital Spy. Retrieved 6 January 2015.
- "Hot chile woman". TV Week (2): 25. 10–16 January 2015.
- Dennehy, Luke (4 August 2014). "Role on Home and Away means commuting for model Pia Miller and time apart from family". Herald Sun. Retrieved 6 January 2015.
- Downie, Stephen (24–30 January 2015). "My character is not a sex symbol". TV Week (4): 14–15.
- Moran, Jonathon (1 February 2015). "Pia Miller says she's done it tough in bid to land dream Home and Away role". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- Dunk, Tiffany (4 April 2016). "Waleed Aly to vie with Project co-host Carrie Bickmore, Lee Lin Chin, Essie Davis and Grant Denyer for Gold Logie". news.com.au. Retrieved 3 April 2016.
- Doyle, Erin (3 August 2017). "Spoiler alert! Is this her last hurrah? Pia Miller showcases baby bump as she screams and runs while shooting her rumoured 'final' Home and Away scenes at Palm Beach". Daily Mail Australia. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- Houghton, Rianne. "Home and Away stars film a heartbreaking funeral for one of the show's biggest characters". Digital Spy. 11 August 2017. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- Moustafa, Abi (10 October 2017). "Pia Miller's shock Home And Away news". New Idea. Retrieved 13 October 2017.
- Cullen, Tamara; King, Jacqui. "Pia Miller talks filming her last-ever Home And Away scene: 'It was super emotional'". TV Week. Retrieved 7 January 2018.
- King, Jacqui (12 October 2017). "Home And Away star Pia Miller starring in new crime thriller". TV Week. Retrieved 13 October 2017.
- "Everything we know so far about Bite Club". TV Week. 13 February 2018. Retrieved 14 February 2018.
- Back, Grace (21 November 2018). "Former Home And Away star Pia Miller lands major movie role". New Idea. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- "Home and Away star Pia Miller's marriage to former AFL footballer Brad Miller is over". Herald Sun. 2 October 2015. Retrieved 4 October 2015.
- Brennan, Bella (6 November 2017). ""Yes today. Yes always!" Home and Away's Pia Miller is engaged to Tyson Mullane And his proposal was seriously romantic!". Now to Love. Retrieved 14 November 2017.