Philips Hue is a line of color changing LED lamps and white bulbs which can be controlled wirelessly. It was introduced in October 2012 and was updated in 2015 and 2016. The lamps are currently created and manufactured by Signify N.V., formerly the Philips Lighting division of Royal Philips N.V..
|Type||A19 led lamp|
|Manufacturer||Signify N.V. |
|Models made||Generation 1|
October 29, 2012
October 4, 2015
October 2, 2016
Concept and designEdit
The Hue system was released in October 2012 as an Apple Store exclusive. The Hue system was marketed as the first iOS controlled lighting appliance. It uses the Zigbee lighting protocol to communicate, and can be controlled via smartphone apps over cellular network, Ethernet or Wi-Fi via a Zigbee–Ethernet bridge wired to a router. The initial system had bulbs capable of producing up to 600 lumens while the newer systems have bulbs that shine up to 800 lumens. The newer system also features HomeKit compatibility. In July 2018, an outdoor version of the Philips Hue suite was introduced, and in October 2018 a suite of entertainment-focused, free-standing light fittings.
In January 2019 they announced outdoor sensors and lights.
Security issues have been noted in the product including an issue in which the bulbs were able to be remotely controlled over the Internet by attackers with inexpensive equipment. In another proof-of-concept, researchers were able to remotely control light bulbs using a drone flying outside a window.
In an article in Forbes, Seth Porges called Phillips Hue the "best product of 2012". PC Magazine reviewed the white variation and named it as an editors' choice and said it was bright and affordable and had lots of features.
- "Signify is the new company name of Philips Lighting, the maker of Hue smart bulbs". TAS. 2018-04-13. Retrieved 2018-07-10.
- "Philips lighting is now Signify". Signify. 2018-05-16. Retrieved 2018-07-10.
- "Signify releases Hue Sync, hoping to launch the era of immersive home entertainment lighting". LEDs Magazine. 2018-06-04. Retrieved 2018-07-10.
- News, ABC. "Philips Hue: The Light Bulb You Can Control With Your Phone". ABC News. Retrieved 26 January 2018.
- Porges, Seth. "The Best Product of 2012: The Philips Hue LED Lighting System". Forbes. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- "Philips Hue 2.0 Starter Kit review: A new Hue, with Siri, too". CNET. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- Smith, Jake (12 March 2018). "Philips Hue outdoor connected lighting hits US, Europe this July". ZDNet. Retrieved 22 March 2018.
- "What Philips Hue can actually do". Smartdigs. Retrieved 22 November 2018.
- Clover, Juli. "CES 2019: Philips Hue Gains New Outdoor Lighting Range and Outdoor Motion Sensor". www.macrumors.com. Retrieved 2019-01-10.
- "New study details a security flaw with Philips Hue smart bulbs". CNET. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- Torres, Timothy. "Philips Hue White". PCMAG. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Philips Hue.|