A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
He previously coached Surrey County, Rosslyn Park F.C. and London Division before being appointed as the first full-time professional scrummaging coach in the UK, first at Wasps RFC and then with England.
Keith-Roach was born 11 August 1943 in Jerusalem where his Father, Edward Keith-Roach, was the District Commissioner. He was Educated at Cheltenham, St Luke’s College Exeter and Pembroke College Cambridge.
Keith-Roach worked with three England head coaches: Jack Rowell, Clive Woodward and Andy Robinson. He was involved in 113 international matches between 1995 and 2007. He went on to coach Sale Sharks in the English Premiership, Stade Français in the French Top 14, to assist the Russian national team and to act as scrum consultant to English international referee Wayne Barnes.
A three times Cambridge Blue (university sport) as a Hooker, he also played for Stroud, Gloucester, Rosslyn Park, Eastern Counties, London Division and Barbarians FC during a 22 year playing career. An England trialist in 1969, he was reserve Hooker for England v South Africa and on various occasions in the 1970s
After leaving University he taught at Trinity School Croydon and later at Dulwich College. Whilst at Dulwich PKR was involved with the launch of Rhino Rugby the Scrum machine manufacturers before switching to full time coaching when rugby union became openly professional in 1995.
Keith-Roach was present at all three England World Cup winning victories: the football World Cup final in 1966, the rugby World Cup final in 2003 as England scrum coach, and the cricket World Cup final in 2019.
- Elliott, Andrew (22 January 2014). "EXCLUSIVE: Mako Vunipola backed to beat the French scrum in Six Nations duel". The Express. Retrieved 4 May 2020.
- Rugby Union: Green puts the pain behind him. The Independent. 2 May 1998.
- England's other XV : The Guardian. 3 October 2003.
- Best is yet to come from Sheridan says Robinson. Independent.Ie. 13 November 2005.
- Jason Robinson and Phil Keith Roach to join Sale Sharks. Premiership Rugby. 25 February 2009.
- "Paul Pook and Phil Keith-Roach will work for Russian national team - Other sports". Sports.ru. 5 June 2011. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- "Russian evolution". Sky Sports. 2 June 2011. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- England recruits meeting scrum challenge head on. The Times. 11 March 2006.
- Scrum guru Phil Keith-Roach lands unreal sporting hat-trick The Rugby Paper. 25 July 2019.
- Rugby's nearly men deemed good enough to play for their country - but without a cap to show for it. The Telegraph. February 2019
- Is England’s scrum doomed ahead of the World Cup? The architect of the 2003 world beaters shares his view. The Rugby Paper. September 2018
- Lions must front up says Keith-Roach. The Independent
- Scrummaging rules are 'putting lives at risk'. The Telegraph
- Coaching Notebook. The Guardian
- Keith-Roach will help Sharks push for glory. Manchester Evening News
- Why France's Rabah Slimani is the perfect prop forward. The Telegraph. March 2018
- Great White. The Telegraph