Phendula is the second studio album by South African singer Zahara. It was released by TS Records on September 13, 2013. The album's production was primarily handled by Robbie Malinga and Mojalefa Thebe. It features guest appearances from Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Anele & Neliswa, Mzwakhe Mbuli, Mukengerwa Tresor Riziki and 2 Face Idibia. It was supported by three singles: "Phendula", "Impilo" and "Stay". Upon its release, the album was made available for purchase on iTunes and Musica.
|Studio album by|
|Released||September 13, 2013|
|Studio||KZN Studios, Greyville, Durban|
|Singles from Phendula|
Background, recording, and upcoming releaseEdit
In an interview with Yoliswa Sobuwa of The Herald, Zahara was asked to describe the album. She said, "I am so excited about this album. My fans will love it as I've grown a lot vocally and also in my writing skills". Moreover, she elaborated on the album's lead single "Phendula", saying, "My single Phendula talks about seeking answers from God. A lot is happening from people being victims of crime. There's a lot of poverty and unemployment. All I am saying is that God should answer our prayers." In the above-mentioned interview, Thembinkosi "TK" Nciza of TS Records said, "All 14 songs on the album will become popular. People will be touched, as Zahara writes from the bottom of her heart and she motivates people...She has upped her standards and with this album she has featured Mzwakhe Mbuli, Nigerian artist 2face Idibia, and Anele and Neliswa Mxhakaza, the Idols twins. Her music is for all Africans and this is one of the greatest albums ever to be produced in South Africa."
The album was recorded at KZN Studios in Greyville, Durban; it was mastered at TS Records studios in Joburg. In an interview with You magazine, Zahara said she's planning on shooting a live DVD for Phendula and plans on inviting everyone she featured on the album. TruFm reported that the album went platinum after being on the market for 7 days. Furthermore, it went double platinum and sold over 100,000 copies after 2 weeks.
On September 6, 2013, "Phendula" was released as the album's lead single. Its music video was uploaded onto YouTube on September 27, 2013.
"Impilo" was released on November 1, 2013, as the second single from the album. The music video for the song features cameo appearances from TS Records dignitaries; it was uploaded onto YouTube at a total length of 3 minutes and 48 seconds. A writer for Music Industry Online commented on the music video, saying, "Like many of her songs, Zahara is seen on the video playing her guitar with some shots showing her boss, DJ Sbu enjoying the music. Already people are praising the music video, labelling it 'Great work'."
The album's third single "Stay" features vocals from Nigerian singer 2 Face Idibia. In an interview with Sunday Sun newspaper, Zahara described the song as a melodic song about love. Zahara and 2face recorded the song after being in the studio for 5 hours.
The Phendula tourEdit
|Tour by Zahara|
|Start date||September 27, 2013|
|End date||December 8, 2013|
|No. of shows||11|
To celebrate the successful release of the album, Zahara and her management team put together the Phendula Tour, which was sponsored by Nedbank and supported by Drum Magazine, Cape Argus, Vukani and Metro FM.
|September 27, 2013||Cape Town||South Africa||Cape Town ICC|||
|October 3, 2013||Gauteng||Lyric Theatre at Gold Reef City|
|October 4, 2013|
|October 11, 2013||Polokwane||Meropa Casino|
|October 18, 2013||Pretoria||Tshwane State Theatre|
|November 1, 2013||East London||Orient Theatre|
|November 8, 2013||Durban||Durban City Hall|
|November 9, 2013||Newcastle||Newcastle Show Hall|
|November 22, 2013||Mahikeng||Mmabatho Convention Centre|
|November 29, 2013||Mangaung||Bloemfontein Show Grounds|
|December 8, 2013||Port Elizabeth||Boardwalk Casino|
Phendula received positive reviews from music critics. A writer for Swagger Magazine gave the album a 91.8 rating, adding, "Most of the songs on the album are quite good regardless of how they’re arranged. There are also songs that while easy on the ears, are deeper and more thoughtful than typical pop. The intensity of her interest in the subtle shades of truth informs her singularly refined lyrics. Combined with her exquisite musicianship and the sultry quality of her voice, she immerses you in a world that is both cerebral and sensual."
|Year||Awards ceremony||Award description(s)||Results|
|2014||20th Annual South African Music Awards||Best Selling Album||Won|
|Best RnB, Soul and Reggae||Won|
|Metro FM Music Awards||Best African Pop Album||Nominated|
|9.||"Bomi Endibaziyo" (featuring Anele & Neliswa)||Mkutukana||4:05|
|10.||"Limisa" (featuring Mukengerwa Tresor Riziki)||4:27|
|11.||"Mandela" (featuring Mzwakhe Mbuli)||Mkutukana||3:38|
|14.||"Stay" (featuring 2 Face Idibia)||3:53|
- Bulelwa Mkutukana – primary artist, writer
- Ladysmith Black Mambazo – featured artists, writers
- Anele & Neliswa – featured artist
- Mzwakhe Mbuli – featured artist
- Mukengerwa Tresor Riziki – featured artist
- Robbie Malinga – producer
- Mojalefa Thebe – producer
|South Africa||September 13, 2013||CD, Digital download||TS Records|
- "Phendula by Zahara". iTunes. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- Poliswa, Plaatje. "No stopping Zahara's hits factory". TimesLiveSA. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- "Zahara, Phendula, CDs, Musica A World awaits". Musica.co.za. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- "New Zahara album 'one of best ever'". HeraldLIVE. 2013-09-13. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- "Zahara's Phendula Tour takes On 11 cities". Bizcommunity. 26 September 2013. Retrieved 18 December 2013.
- YOU (2013-10-14). "Zahara chats to us about the release of her second album, Phendula". YOU. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- "Ec Forms Part Of Zahara'S 'Phendula' Tour". TruFm. Archived from the original on 3 December 2013. Retrieved 9 October 2013.
- Plaatjie, Poliswa (14 March 2014). "Zahara's confidence in her fans". Dispatch Live. Retrieved 11 January 2015.
- "Zahara Drops Video For 'Impilo'". MIO. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- "Zahara to record duet with Nigerian artist 2Face". All4Women. Archived from the original on 19 December 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "2FACE TO "STAY" WITH SOUTH AFRICA'S ZAHARA". 2Faceonline. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "Checkout the behind the scenes for Zahara & 2Face's new video!". MTV Base. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "Tresor Riziky Joins Zahara On 'Phendula' Tour". Music Industry Online. Retrieved 18 December 2013.
- saproductreviews. "Review: Zahara New Album "Phendula"SA Product Reviews". Saproductreviews.co.za. Archived from the original on 2014-04-19. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- Boshomane, Lebogang (17 January 2014). "13th Metro FM Music Awards nominees announced". Sowetan Live. Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- Rolling Stone. "Mafikizolo Dominates SAMA 20 With Eight Awards - Rolling Stone South Africa". Rollingstone.co.za. Retrieved 2014-04-30.