Pflugerville High School
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Pflugerville High School is a public high school located in Pflugerville, Texas.
|Pflugerville High School|
1301 W. Pecan Street
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Pflugerville Independent School District|
|Student to teacher ratio||15.76|
List of SportsEdit
- Basketball, Boys
- Basketball, Girls
- Cross Country
- Golf, Fall
- Golf, Spring
- Marching Band
- Soccer, Boys
- Soccer, Girls
- Tennis, Fall
- Tennis, Spring
- Track and Field
During the 2013 NFL Draft, Pflugerville High School graduate Zaviar Gooden and Alex Okafor were drafted by the Tennessee Titans and Arizona Cardinals respectively. In the 2014 NFL Draft, IK Enemkpali was drafted by the New York Jets. In the 2015 NFL Draft, Tyrus Thompson was drafted by Minnesota Vikings.
55-game winning streakEdit
This section needs additional citations for verification. (July 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
From 1958 until 1962, Pflugerville won 55 consecutive games. At the time, it was both a State and National record. The Streak ended with a 12-6 loss to Holland in the 1962 Bi-District round of the playoffs. In 1964, Pflugerville's national winning streak record was broken by Jefferson City, Missouri.
In 1958 and 1959, PHS fielded Eight-Man football teams and played in the Class B division until 1967, which were not allowed to play to a State Championship. This is why Pflugerville is only credited with 34 wins on the all-time consecutive win chart. However, they are in actually, in 2nd Place as of 2005.
The Panthers compiled 5 District Championships, 2 Bi-District Championships, and 4 Regional Championships.
Through those five seasons, the Panthers scored 2,585 points; allowed just 256 and recorded 31 shutouts of their opponents.
The record for most consecutive victories is now held by De La Salle High School of California with 151 from 1992 to 2004.
Their streak ended with the first game of the 2004 season against Bellvue High from Washington state.
The Texas State record is now held by Celina, which won 68 games from 1998-2002. Pflugerville still ranks #2 All-Time in the State of Texas.
The 7,000-capacity Kuempel Stadium the current home of the Panthers in Football, Soccer and Track & Field.
Through the 2004 season, Kuempel Stadium has had a natural grass playing surface. However, on February 5, 2005 voters approved a multimillion-dollar bond package which included funds to upgrade to the new style of artificial turf. Similar surfaces are used at RRISD Stadium and at Dragon Stadium as well as NFL and College teams throughout the Nation. Construction was finished prior to the start of the 2005 season.
A plaque outside the entrance explains the name origin:
Dedicated October 1986
Named for Charles and H. L. "Hub" Kuempel, both graduates of Pflugerville High School, who returned and served the Pflugerville schools for a combined 49 years. In the late '50s and early '60s they coached PHS to 55 consecutive football victories.
At that time, this was a State and National Record and still stands as the Texas state record.
- In 2007, the Pflugerville High School football team reached the Texas 5A State Championship game but lost to Katy High School from Katy, Texas.
- The TV Series Friday Night Lights was originally filmed using the stadium, and the team took the name of Dillon Panthers after Pflugerville Panthers and used many of the mascot items for the show.
This stadium was created through 2016–2017 and opened in the 2017–18 school year, but was used for the preceding 4th of July. It is used for the District's Football, and not all of Pflugerville's games, for which Kuempel Stadium is used instead.
It is used by all four high schools in the Pflugerville District.
In the newsEdit
- On the morning of February 7, 2017, a 'suspicious object' was set on fire in a bathroom, leading to the school's evacuation. The student involved was charged with arson and arrested.
- Nate Minchey – professional baseball player
- Mario Ramos (1994) – professional baseball player
- Micah Lawrence (2008) – U.S. Olympic athlete 
- Zaviar Gooden (2008) – American football player currently a Free Agent
- Alex Okafor – American football player
- Ikemefuna Enemkpali – NFL football player
- Michael Johnson – NFL football player
- "PFLUGERVILLE H S". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 5, 2021.
- Hangley, Bill (August 1, 2017). "Believe It or Not, This High School Is Actually One of the Nicest Places in America". rd.com.
- "phs staff". Archived from the original on 2013-01-05.
- Pflugerville's 55 Game Win Streak
- "'Chores, church and football'". Archived from the original on 11 April 2013. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- Kuempel Stadium
- "Pfirecracker Pfestival | City of Pflugerville, Texas". www.pflugervilletx.gov. Retrieved 2017-11-22.
- Bomb Threat Targets Pflugerville High School[dead link]
- Pflugerville Student Arrested After Posting Bomb Threats Archived 2007-10-11 at the Wayback Machine
- Police Investigate Bomb Threat at Pflugerville High School Archived 2008-04-10 at the Wayback Machine
- Juvenile Arrested After Internet Bomb Threat[permanent dead link]
- Teen arrested for threatening to blow up school
- Juvenile arrested in Pflugerville H.S. bomb threat Archived 2008-01-06 at the Wayback Machine
- "Student in custody, charged with arson after Pflugerville High fire". statesman. Retrieved 2017-11-15.
- "Longtime administrator Honored". Archived from the original on 19 April 2013. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- "PISD Board of Trustees Approves Principal Appointments". Archived from the original on 27 December 2010. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- "Impact News". Archived from the original on 11 April 2013. Retrieved 10 February 2013.