Perspective Records is an American record label, launched in 1991 by the producing team Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, through a joint venture with A&M Records—which Jam & Lewis had had a prosperous working relationship with throughout the 1980s, with several of its major acts including Janet Jackson, The Human League, and label founder Herb Alpert.
|Parent company||Universal Music Group|
|Founder||James Harris, Terry Lewis|
|Distributor(s)||A&M Records (1991-1999)|
Caroline Distribution (2018-present)
|Genre||Rhythm and blues, Gospel, Hip hop|
|Country of origin||U.S.|
|Location||Los Angeles, California|
Acts on Perspective's roster included Bobby Ross Avila, Smooth, Mint Condition, Lo-Key, Solo, Sounds of Blackness, Young Zee, and Ann Nesby. From 1993 to 1996, A&M Records released most of its own urban acts through Perspective. Rapper Tech N9ne was one of the signees for the label, however he was released from the label due to creative differences. In 1997, Jam and Lewis resigned as the label's CEOs, but remained consultants. Over the next year, Perspective continued to release recordings by the current artists for the sake of fulfilling contractual obligations with them. The company was dismantled, and absorbed into A&M Records, in early 1999—per the merger of A&M's PolyGram parent and Universal Music Group.
In 2018, Jam & Lewis reactivated Perspective Records under its current distributor, Caroline Distribution. The first album released under the label since 1998 was Peabo Bryson's album Stand For Love. In 2019, Mint Condition lead singer Stokley Williams signed to Perspective for the second time as a solo artist to release his second album, Sankofa.
Albums released on Perspective RecordsEdit
Sounds of BlacknessEdit
- The Evolution of Gospel (1991)
- Africa to America: The Journey of the Drum (1994)
- Time for Healing (1997)
- Where Dey At? (1992)
- Back 2 Da House (1994)
- Meant to Be Mint (1991)
- From the Mint Factory (1993)
- Definition of a Band (1996)
- The Collection (1991-1998) (1998)
- Open Invitation (1994)
- 4.0 (1997)
- Credentials (1998)
- Reality (1998)
Bobby Ross AvilaEdit
- My Destiny (1993)
- Hot & Ready (1994)
- I'm Here for You (1996)
- Walkin' in the Sun (1993)
- Stand For Love (2018)
- Sankofa (2020)
Pudgee Tha Phat BastardEdit
- Musical Meltdown (recorded in 1996, released in 2015)
- "Perspective Records". On A&M Records.com. 2006.
- Mitchell, Gail. "Peabo Bryson Gets Ready to 'Stand for Love' on New Album Coming Aug. 3". billboard.com. Billboard Magazine. Retrieved 2018-06-17.
- "Stokley Strips Down & Celebrates Women In 'She…' And Announces New Album 'Sankofa'". soulbounce.com. SoulBounce. Retrieved 2019-10-20.
- Pudgee The Phat Bastard - The Unkut Interview, Part 2
- Pudgee The Phat Bastard - King Of New York CD
- Young Zee- Musical Meltdown CD at Fat Beats[permanent dead link]
|This article about a United States record label is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|