Personal data service
Personal data services or personal data stores (PDS) are services to let an individual store, manage and deploy their key personal data in a highly secure and structured way.
They give the user a central point of control for their personal information (e.g. interests, contact information, affiliations, preferences, friends). The user's data attributes being managed by the service may be stored in a co-located repository, or they may be stored in multiple external distributed repositories, or a combination of both. Attributes from a PDS may be accessed via an API. Users of the same PDS instance may be allowed to selectively share sets of attributes with other users. A data ecosystem is developing where such sharing among projects or "operators" may become practicable.
Open Source ProjectsEdit
Note: Cloud-based PDSes are sometimes called personal data clouds or personal clouds.
- (HAT) Hub-of-All-Things
- Personium.io - open source personal data store
- Solid Project - Solid (Social Linked Data) is an open-source web decentralization project led by Tim Berners-Lee.
- Dogsheep Project - Build your own Personal Data Warehouse. Dogsheep is a collection of tools (open-source) for personal analytics using SQLite and Datasette (Python).
- data.fm - an open source, PDS with a centralized underlying attribute store as well as an API to enable bi-directional attribute updates from external websites and services. The APIs are based on standards and include WebDav, SPARQL and linked data. Data formats exchanged include RDF, XML and JSON.
- openPDS/SafeAnswers - openPDS/SafeAnswers allows users to collect, store, and give fine-grained access to their data all while protecting their privacy.
- Higgins - Higgins is an open source project dedicated to giving individuals more control over their personal identity, profile and social network data.
- ID Hole - a dynamic and commercial consumer PDS that allows for the storing of personal data and the dynamic sharing of that data with other parties.
- CozyCloud - based in France
- Dataswift Ltd - operator of the HAT service
- OwnYourInfo - a personal information storing and sharing application.
- Mydex - empowers individuals to manage their lives through convenient, trustworthy access and control of their personal data and how it is used by them and others. This is achieved through interoperable API-based components for identity, consent and personal data management.
- "UNDERSTANDING PERSONAL DATA STORES (PDS)". mydex. Archived from the original on 2015-10-01. Retrieved 2016-01-08.
- Langford, Joss. "Understanding MyData Operators" (PDF). mydata. Retrieved November 22, 2020.
- John S. McKean (12 September 2014). Customer's New Voice: Extreme Relevancy and Experience through Volunteered Customer Information. Wiley. pp. 189–. ISBN 978-1-119-00436-3.
- "Unlocking the Value of Personal Data: From Collection to Usage" (PDF). World Economic Forum. 2013. Retrieved 2016-01-08.
- New market for 'empowering personal data services "will transform relationships between customers and brands" - Ctrl-Shift