The Pentax MZ-S is a 35mm single-lens reflex camera from Pentax of Japan. It was introduced in 2001 and discontinued in February 2006. It is closely related to the prototype MZ-D Full-frame digital SLR, which never entered production. It was the top-of-the-line model of Pentax's MZ/ZX series and replaced the PZ-1p as the high-end Pentax camera. No camera was produced to replace the MZ-S, making it Pentax's last high-end 35 mm camera. The MZ-S is the last film camera from Pentax that was manufactured in Japan.
The MZ-S was a "clean sheet of paper" design that re-thought most aspects of Pentax's camera interface and appearance. Design goals included simpler operation, small size and light weight without sacrificing the sophisticated features required to be competitive. The MZ-S design returned to a more conventional one compared to the PZ-1p; the shoe for external flash and accessories returned to the top of the pentaprism housing, instead of the unusual right-handgrip position used on the older camera. The status LCD moved from atop the pentaprism to the top of the camera's right shoulder, like many competing designs. However, instead of a flat camera top, the Pentax designers angled the top plate towards the user at a 30° angle for easier viewing.
The camera featured an autofocus system based on six linear CCD sensors, on-film data recording and an MTF autoexposure mode which chooses the aperture for maximum sharpness.
- Pentax. "History of Innovations 2000-Present". Retrieved 2006-09-18.
- Grad, Orin (2006-02-12). "Pentax Holds a Product Massacre Too". The Online Photographer. Retrieved 2006-09-18. Cites Japanese-language sources.
- Asahi Optical Historical Club (2000-10-20). "Cameras". photokina 2002 report. Archived from the original on 2004-05-30. Retrieved 2006-09-18.
- Dimitrov, Bojidar. "Z-1p / PZ-1p". K-Mount Pages. Archived from the original on 2007-01-23. Retrieved 2006-09-18.
- Asahi Optical Historical Club. "MZ-S Story". Retrieved 2006-09-18.
- "Introducing the MZ-S professional...the new flagship of the Pentax SLR line" (PDF). Pentax. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2003-12-16. Retrieved 2006-09-25.
- "Pentax MZ-S". Popular Photography & Imaging. November 2001. Archived from the original on March 4, 2009. Retrieved 2006-09-25.
- Fadner, W.L. (May 2002). "The Pentax MZ S Professional Camera". Shutterbug. Retrieved 2006-09-25.
- "Pentax MZ-S Operating Manual" (PDF). Pentax. 2004. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- "Pentax MZ-S Film SLR Review]". Pentax User. 2002. Retrieved 2018-03-07.