Penelope (1978 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Štefan Uher|
|Produced by||Ján Svikruha|
|Screenplay by||Alfonz Bednár|
|Based on||Za hrsť drobných |
(series of novels)
|Music by||Svetozár Stračina|
|Edited by||Maximilián Remeň|
|Distributed by||Slovenská požičovňa filmov Bratislava|
Similarly as with some of previous works directed by Uher, such as Slnko v sieti (1962), he reunited with screenwriter Alfonz Bednár and cinematographer Stanislav Szomolányi.
Restorer Eva Kamenická (Božidara Turzonovová) arrives to the village to repair frescoes of the heroines of ancient myths for the local castle. In daily life of the village inhabitants Eva soon finds some elements of ancient tragedy, especially in fate of a lonely old lady named Malovcová (Eva Kristínová). The woman, commonly referred to by locals as "Waitress of Change", awaits the return of her husband and son, who had gone to work in America twenty years ago. Eva sees in her a picture of the devoted and patient "Penelope", whose courage and faith impress young restorer. Experience gained while staying in the country turns into her own life decision. Not long after she becomes close with the Secretary of the Municipal Committee, Viktor (Michal Dočolomanský), she decides to leave her daughter Mima (Jana Čeligová) with selfish husband and start a new life.
- Božidara Turzonovová - Eva Kamenická, restorer
- Eva Kristínová - Mrs. Malovcová, "Waitress of Change"/"Penelopa"
- Gustáv Valach - Kuzma, Sr.
- Michal Dočolomanský - Viktor Kuzma, Secretary of the Municipal Committee
- Ilja Prachař - Mišo Bajzlík
- Dušan Blaškovič - Vertel
- Milan Kiš - Gracík
- Anton Šulík - Lovčan
- Leopold Haverl - Stanko
- Jaroslav Vrzala - Nemlaha
- Igor Čillík - Ondro
- Jiřina Jelenská - Zora/Zuza
- Jana Nagyová - Verona
- Michal Nesvadba - Fero
|1978||Štefan Uher||Czechoslovak Film Festival České Budějovice||Direction - Special Mention||Won|||
|1979||Božidara Turzonovová||Film a Divadlo Awards||Best Actress||Won|
|Michal Dočolomanský||Best Actor||Won|
- "Penelopa". Czech-Slovak Film Database (in Czech and Slovak). POMO Media Group. csfd.cz. Retrieved November 1, 2014.
- Šmatláková, Renáta (ed.). "Penelopa". Slovak Film Database (in English and Slovak). Slovak Film Institute. sfd.sfu.sk. Retrieved November 1, 2014.