Pearls of the Deep
Pearls of the Deep (Czech: Perličky na dně) is a 1966 Czechoslovak anthology film directed by Jiří Menzel, Jan Němec, Evald Schorm, Věra Chytilová and Jaromil Jireš. The five segments are all based on short stories by Bohumil Hrabal. The film was released in Czechoslovakia on 7 January 1966.
|Pearls of the Deep|
|Directed by||Jiří Menzel|
|Based on||Short stories by Bohumil Hrabal|
|Music by||Jan Klusák|
|Edited by||Miloslav Hájek|
- "The Death of Mr Balthazar" ("Smrt pana Baltazara"), directed by Jiří Menzel
A couple and the father of one of them go to a motorcycle race and talk about motorcycle lore.
- "Imposters" ("Podvodníci"), directed by Jan Němec
Two old men who are about to die construct false biographies for themselves. One man claims to have been a successful opera singer and the other a successful journalist.
- "House of Joy" ("Dům radosti"), directed by Evald Schorm (22min)
Two insurance agents visit an eccentric painter and goat farmer and his mother.
- "At the World Cafeteria" ("Automat Svět"), directed by Věra Chytilová
A wedding reception takes place at a diner. The guests are able to stay oblivious of the surrounding misery.
- "Romance", directed by Jaromil Jireš
A working-class boy becomes infatuated with a Gypsy girl.