PayU is a fintech company that provides payment technology to online merchants. The company was founded in 2002 and is headquartered in Hoofddorp, Netherlands. It allows online businesses to accept and process payments through payment methods that can be integrated with web and mobile applications. As of 2018, the service is available in 17 countries: India, South Africa, Russia, Mexico, Brazil as well as Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Nigeria, Panama, Peru, Poland, Romania, Slovakia and Turkey. PayU is owned by the Naspers Group.
|Industry||Fintech, Payments Service Provider|
|Founder||Jose Velez, Martin Schrimpff, Arjan Bakker, Grzegorz Brochocki, Nitin Gupta, Shailaz Nag|
Number of locations
|Laurent Le Moal (CEO)|
Number of employees
PayU is the result of multiple payment gateways in various regions of the world that have all been acquired and brought into the PayU group. In 2014, all online payments companies that were part of Naspers started operating under the PayU brand.
Investment and acquisitionsEdit
- Acquired Zooz for undisclosed amount, an Israeli startup that provides an API to merchants for accepting a variety of payments depending on the market.
- Acquisition of Indian payments services provider Citrus Pay in September 2016 for $130M.
- Investment of €110M in German fintech company Kreditech, which provides digital consumer credit using machine-learning based underwriting.
- PayU led funding round of $115M in Seattle-based Remitly, a remittance company with services across UK, US, Canada, Africa, South America and Asia.
- Series A investment of $3.7M in consumer finance for online purchases provider ZestMoney.
- Alongside Naspers Fintech and Nexus Venture Partners, PayU invested $5.3M in Paysense in May 2017
- Investment of R$60M in online credit platform Creditas (ex-BankFacil)
- 2011, PayU acquired Romanian online payments company GECAD ePayments
In November 2006, PayU SA was established and Platnosci.pl was merged into the group. Over the years, PayU grew in Poland and added new products to its portfolio. In 2010, the company expanded to the Czech Republic. In 2011, began its operations in Russia, Turkey, Slovakia and Hungary.
In 2002 Pagosonline was founded in Colombia by Jose Velez, Martin Schrimpff and Santiago Spinel.
In 2010, PagosOnline sold a majority stake to Buscapé, which was a part of the Naspers Group. And in 2011, Naspers, via Buscapé, acquired the majority stake in DineroMail. In 2013, Naspers acquired the rest of shares of DineroMail . In 2012 Pagosonline started creating a new payment platform that eventually was rebranded PayU Latam. PayU Latam also began operations in Panama and Peru. During the course of 2013 and 2014, PayU Latam and DineroMail merged. In 2016, Bcash and PayU, were merged under the PayU brand in Brazil.
PayJar was founded in South Africa in 2010 as part of the Naspers group to help other Naspers companies process online payments. In 2011, PayJar was rebranded to PayU. In 2015, PayU expanded its operations to Nigeria.
In 2011, Ibibo in conjunction with co-founders Nitin Gupta and Shailaz Nag, rolled out payment gateway, PayU, in the Indian market, to permit websites to integrate e-commerce transactions through online payments.
Products and ServicesEdit
PayU is a regulated financial institution. It holds licenses from national banks and local regulators. PayU's products include a PCI-DSS certified payment gateway, an anti-fraud system and an online Visa/MasterCard acquirer.
- "PayU: On the money | Forbes India". Forbes India. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- Sharma, Samidha. "GETS 20% - Naspers' PayU may invest in lending startup ZestMoney". Timesofindia.com. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "Martin Schrimpff - Endeavor". Endeavor. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- ANI (2018-05-10). "UPI-based transactions on PayU up 200% between September, March". Business Standard India. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "PayU to provide credit for online purchases eyes NBFC licence - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "4 payment aggregators to use in Russia | Practical Ecommerce". Practical Ecommerce. 2018-02-18. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "Naspers-owned PayU India raises Rs 802 crore". The Financial Express. 2017-04-11. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "Hamburg-based Kreditech expanding to India". www.hamburg-news.hamburg. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "Digital payments gateway PayU eyes acquisitions to enter lending segment". @businessline. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "Naspers' PayU leads investment in US digital money transfer platform". Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "PayU acquires Zooz to take on international payment services". Techcrunch. 2016-09-14. Retrieved 2018-07-24.
- "Naspers' PayU buys Citrus Pay for $130M in cash to expand in India". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "PayU to acquire Citrus Pay for $130 mn; Sequoia gets 4x returns". VCCircle. 2016-09-14. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "Kreditech raises €110M from Naspers' PayU in strategic financing partnership". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "PayU Infuses $119 Mn In German Fintech Startup Kredtitech; Aims To Increase Credit Access In Emerging Markets - Inc42 Media". Inc42 Media. 2017-05-10. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "Remitly is raising up to $115M led by Naspers' PayU to double down on remittances". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "Remitly Tacks On $115 Million for International Remittances". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "PayU leads $6.5 mn round of funding in ZestMoney". Techcircle. 2017-02-15. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- Reporter, B. S. (2017-05-18). "Paysense raises $ 5.3 mn from Jungle, Naspers". Business Standard India. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "BankFacil receives Series A investment of USD $3 million". Accion. 2015-08-04. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "IFC Leads R$60m Series B in Creditas (formerly BankFacil) (em português)". LAVCA | Latin American Private Equity & Venture Capital Association. 2017-02-20. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "Entrepreneur Radu Georgescu makes new exit, selling Axigen to a group of Romanian entrepreneurs - Business Review". Business Review. 2014-03-11. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "Radu Georgescu (Founding Partner, GECAD Group)". www.startupgrind.com. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "PayU and iwoca launch SME partnership in Poland - AltFi News". AltFi. Retrieved 2018-07-19.
- "PayU expands to Russia, Ukraine and Turkey - Business Review". Business Review. 2012-05-22. Retrieved 2018-07-19.
- Reporter, Staff. "Naspers buys Brazilian e-commerce company". The M&G Online. Retrieved 2018-07-19.
- "El sitio de pagos DineroMail pasa a manos sudafricanas" (in Spanish). Retrieved 2018-07-19.
- "BuscaPé Inc acquires controlling stake in Latin America online payments platform DineroMail". LAVCA | Latin American Private Equity & Venture Capital Association. 2011-03-01. Retrieved 2018-07-19.
- "Naspers culmina compra de DineroMail y lanza PayU Latam". iProfesional. Retrieved 2018-07-19.
- "La llegada de PayU al mercado latinoamericano de los pagos online | Ebanking News". www.ebankingnews.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 2018-07-19.
- "Pagosonline se convierte en PayU Latam". Blog Comercio Electronico (in Spanish). 2013-08-21. Retrieved 2018-07-19.
- "Naspers funde empresas de pagamentos online PayU e Bcash - TeleSíntese". www.telesintese.com.br (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2018-07-19.
- M, Swathi P. "PayU India Rebrands PayU Enterprises And PayUmoney As Independent Entities". www.nextbigwhat.com. Retrieved 2018-07-19.
- "PayU to expand Nigerian online payment market | IT News Africa – Africa's Technology News Leader". www.itnewsafrica.com. Retrieved 2018-07-19.
- "PayU To Boost Nigerian Online Payments N200B | PYMNTS.com". www.pymnts.com. Retrieved 2018-07-19.
- Sahay, Priyanka (2016-02-24). "Ibibo to raise $250 million from Naspers". Live Mint. Retrieved 2018-07-19.
- "Naspers merges PayU India with global payments business". Techcircle. 2014-02-13. Retrieved 2018-07-19.
- "Refer to these companies for secure payments". The Siasat Daily. 2018-07-06. Retrieved 2018-07-19.
- "Where is PayU Headed? Follow the Money". Bank Innovation. Retrieved 2018-07-19.
- ANI (2018-02-05). "PayU India launches payment collection feature". Business Standard India. Retrieved 2018-07-19.
- Finextra (2017-04-25). "Poland's PayU launches Visa Checkout". Finextra Research. Retrieved 2018-07-19.