This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Museum ships and exhibitsEdit
Patriots Point is home to three museum ships:
- USS Yorktown, an aircraft carrier
- USS Laffey, a destroyer
- USS Clamagore, a submarine (To be sunk as an artificial reef)
Yorktown has many exhibits on board, including:
- Medal of Honor museum, with biographies of all medal recipients
- 28 naval aircraft, including:
Exhibits ashore include:
1975 – PresentEdit
Patriots Point has continued to grow; serving as an embarkation point for Fort Sumter tour boats, being home to several other vessels (including the submarine USS Clamagore), the Cold War Submarine Memorial, a replica of a Vietnam Support Base, and the museum of the Medal of Honor Society. Patriots Point celebrated their 10 millionth visitor in February 2017.
On 2 September 2003, Yorktown served as the backdrop for the formal announcement of Senator John Kerry's candidacy as he sought, and ultimately won, the Democratic nomination for President of the United States for the 2004 election.
Patriot's Point also hosts celebrations on patriotic holidays, with military reenactments and weapons demonstrations.
Media related to Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum at Wikimedia Commons
- Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum
- Congressional Medal of Honor Museum
- USS Yorktown CV10 Association
- Kleinberg, Eliot (10 January 2017). "Palm Beach County OKs $1 million for sinking sub as artificial reef". Palm Beach Post.
- North American Society for Oceanic History, Inc newsletter Vol.10 No.2 Fall 1984