Patrick Blanc (born June 3, 1953, Paris) is a French botanist who works at the French National Centre for Scientific Research, where he specializes in plants from tropical forests. He is the modern innovator of the green wall, specifically, he invented the modern vertical hydroponics garden, which distinguishes it from its predecessors (aka. the Green Wall, Botanical Brick invented by Professor Stanley Hart White at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign in 1938).
|Occupation||botanist French National Centre for Scientific Research|
Patrick Blancs contemporary patents are responsible for modernizing and popularizing the garden type. Blanc describes his vertical garden as follows:
On a load-bearing wall or structure is placed a metal frame that supports a PVC plate 10 millimetres (0.39 in) thick, on which are stapled two layers of polyamide felt each 3 millimetres (0.12 in) thick. These layers mimic cliff-growing mosses and support the roots of many plants. A network of pipes controlled by valves provides a nutrient solution containing dissolved minerals needed for plant growth. The felt is soaked by capillary action with this nutrient solution, which flows down the wall by gravity. The roots of the plants take up the nutrients they need, and excess water is collected at the bottom of the wall by a gutter, before being re-injected into the network of pipes: the system works in a closed circuit. Plants are chosen for their ability to grow on this type of environment and depending on available light.
This system exemplifies Blanc's ideas as a scientist and also the 15th target of the Haute Qualité Environnementale ("High Quality Environment") project, although the latter gives particular stress to use of more local species, at least outdoors.
- Green walls
- 1988 : green wall, made at the Museum of Science and Industry in Paris
- 1998 : Fondation Cartier in Paris
- 2000 : Aquarium of Genoa, Italy
- 2001 : Perhsing Hall Hotel in Paris
- 2003 : Marithé & François Girbaud boutique in Manhattan
- 2003 : French Embassy in New Delhi
- 2004 : Green façade at the Administrative building of the Quai Branly Museum in Paris
- 2004 : 21st Century Museum of Contemporary Art, Kanazawa, Japan.
- 2005 : North face of the shopping centre in Avignon
- 2005 : Vinet Square in Bordeaux (with Michel Desvigne)
- 2005 : Siam Paragon shopping center in Bangkok
- 2006 : Weleda, 8th arrondissement of Paris
- 2007 : BHV Hommes shop (BHV for men), 4th arrondissement of Paris
- 2007 : CaixaForum Madrid
- 2008 : Arch at the roundabout at the Grand Theatre of Provence at Aix-en-Provence
- 2008 : Galeria Przymorze, shopping centre in Gdańsk, Poland
- 2008 : Melbourne Central Shopping Centre, Australia
- 2008 : Galeries Lafayette, Berlin Friedrichstraße, Germany
- 2009 : The Athenaeum Hotel, Piccadilly, London, UK 
- 2009 : 360 Mall, Kuwait
- 2010 : Ronald Lu & Partners, Hong Kong
- 2014 : Central Park, Sydney
- 2016 : Le Nouvel Towers, Kuala Lumpur
- 2018 : Museum of Contemporary Art, Busan
- Other works
- 1994 : Garden Festival of Chaumont-sur-Loire
- 1990 : Biologie d'une canopée de forêt équatoriale : rapport de Mission Radeau des cimes, octobre-novembre 1989, Petit Saut, - Guyane française, ("Biology under an equatorial forest: report of Study Radeus, October–November 1989, French Guiana, a collective study under the direction of Francis Hallé et Patrick Blanc, Departement of Industry and xylochemistry
- 2002 : Être plante à l'ombre des forêts tropicales ("Putting plants in the light of tropical forests"), Éditions Nathan
- 2005 : Le bonheur d'être plante, ("The pleasure of being a plant"), Éditions Maren Sell (ISBN 2-350-04018-6)
- 2007 : Folies végétales ("Plants' follies"), (lecture, Paris), éditions Chêne
- 2008 : Le Mur Végétal, de la nature à la ville ("The green wall in town and country"), éditions Michel Lafon
The vertical garden of CaixaForum Madrid at its creation in 2007.
- Ping Magazine: Vertical Garden: The art of organic architecture Archived 2010-11-26 at the Wayback Machine, 8 December 2006
- "RIBA announces 12 Honorary Fellowships". architecture.com. 6 October 2009. Archived from the original on 16 April 2014. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- http://www.galeriaprzymorze.eu/?site=greenwall (Polish)
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-10-05. Retrieved 2011-08-17.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) (viewed 17 August 2011)
- "360 MALL, KUWAIT". 17 September 2012.
- "Le Nouvel, Kuala Lumpur". 28 May 2013.
- https://www.verticalgardenpatrickblanc.com/node/14152 (Polish)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Patrick Blanc.|