Patricia Birch is an American dancer, choreographer, film director, and theatre director.
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (May 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Born in Englewood, New Jersey, Birch began her career as a dancer in Broadway musicals, including Brigadoon, Goldilocks, and West Side Story (playing Anybodys). She has directed and choreographed music videos for Cyndi Lauper, The Rolling Stones, and Carly Simon.
She earned Emmy Awards for her direction of the television specials Natalie Cole: Unforgettable and Celebrating Gershwin and, in collaboration with Michael Tilson Thomas, she staged the concert version of On the Town performed by both the London Symphony Orchestra and the San Francisco Symphony. She spent six years staging numbers for Saturday Night Live. In the 1960s, she taught dance at the Juilliard School's pre-college division in New York City. She performed as a soloist with Martha Graham and Agnes de Mille.
- The Electric Company (1971)
- Savages (1973)
- The Wild Party (1975)
- Roseland (1977)
- A Little Night Music (1977)
- Grease (1978)
- Grease 2 (1982) also director
- Christmas with Flicka (1987)
- Big (1988)
- Elvira, Mistress of the Dark (1988)
- The Orchestra (fr. L'orchestre, 1989)
- Stella (1990)
- Billy Bathgate (1991)
- Sleeping with the Enemy (1991)
- This Is My Life (1992)
- Used People (1992)
- North (1994)
- The First Wives Club (1996)
- The Human Stain (2003)
- The Stepford Wives (2004)
Stage productions (selected)Edit
All credits as choreographer unless otherwise noted
- West Side Story (1960 Broadway) (performer)
- The Me Nobody Knows (1970)
- You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown (1971 Broadway musical)
- Grease (1972 Broadway musical)
- A Little Night Music (1973 Broadway musical)
- Over Here! (1974 Broadway musical)
- Pacific Overtures (1976 Broadway musical)
- They're Playing Our Song (1979 Broadway musical)
- Zoot Suit (1981 Broadway play)
- Raggedy Ann (1986 Broadway musical also director)
- Anna Karenina (1992 Broadway musical)
- Candide (1997 Broadway musical)
- Parade (1998 Broadway musical)
- Lovemusik (2007 Broadway musical)
Awards and nominationsEdit
- 1972 Drama Desk Award – Grease
- 1974 Drama Desk Award – Candide
- 2009 Induction into the American Theater Hall of Fame 
- 1972 Tony Award – Grease
- 1974 Tony Award – Over Here!
- 1976 Drama Desk Award – Pacific Overtures
- 1976 Tony Award – Pacific Overtures
- 1977 Drama Desk Award – Music Is
- 1977 Tony Award – Music Is
- 1999 Drama Desk Award – Parade
- 1999 Tony Award – Parade
- 2007 Drama Desk Award – LoveMusik
- "Winner_past.pdf" (PDF). Prix Italia. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-08-21. Retrieved 2012-05-30.
- "Programmi Vincitori (1948-2001)". Prix Italia. Archived from the original on 2012-02-28. Retrieved 2012-05-30.
- "Hamlisch, Lane, Birch, Tunick and Azenberg Among Theater Hall of Fame Inductees". playbill.com. Archived from the original on March 10, 2014. Retrieved May 28, 2017.