Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University
Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University (or PDPU) Gujarat, established through PDPU Act, a legislature passed by Gujarat state assembly in 2007. The university is located at Raisan village of Gandhinagar city in an area known as the Knowledge Corridor, and it is near the upcoming GIFT City. It is 8 km from Gujarat state capital Gandhinagar, and 23 km from Gujarat's largest city Ahmedabad.
Motto in English
|A Reservoir of knowledge|
|Affiliation||University Grants Commission (India)|
Raisan Village, Gandhinagar,
|Campus||100 acres (0.40 km2)|
The university is ranked 55th in India and 1st in Gujarat by National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF), Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India. PDPU has also been awarded Scientific & Industrial Research Organization (SIRO) recognition by Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India.
The university has four schools, located on the same campus. The schools include the School of Petroleum Technology, School of Technology, School of Petroleum Management, and School of Liberal Studies. The President of University Board of Governors is Dr. Mukesh Ambani and the Chairman of the Standing Committee is Shri D. Rajagopalan, IAS (Retd.), Government of Gujarat.
The university also has its own 1 megawatt solar power plant. The Government of Gujarat has decided to set up an international Centre of Excellence in Automobile at PDPU with investment of Rs. 150 Crores (US$ 25M) in joint venture with Maruti Suzuki India Ltd(MSIL).
Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University (PDPU) has been established by Gujarat energy Research and Management Institute (GERMI) as a Private University through the State Act enacted on 4 April 2007.
The University is recognised by UGC (University Grants Commission) and is a member of AIU (Association of Indian Universities).The university has been accredited with Grade A by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council  In March 2018, Minister of Human Resource Development, Prakash Javadekar announced that the University Grants Commission (India) has granted autonomy to PDPU, making it the only of two private universities in India to have accorded this autonomy. Henceforth university will have the freedom to start new courses, off campus centers, skill development courses, research parks and any other new academic programs. It will also give it the freedom to hire foreign faculty, enroll foreign students, give incentive based emoluments to the faculty, enter into academic collaborations and run open distance learning programs.
The 4 schools of PDPU offer both niche programs as well as programs of general interest, covering UG, PG and Doctoral programs in Management, Humanities, and Engineering:
- School of Petroleum Management (Established, 2006) offers MBA and Executive MBA programs with specializations in Energy and Infrastructure, Operations, Marketing, HR and Finance.
- School of Petroleum Technology (Established, 2007) offers B.Tech, M.Tech, and Ph.D programs in upstream & downstream Petroleum Engineering.
- School of Technology (Established, 2010) offers B.Tech. Engineering programs in Mechanical, Electrical, Civil, Chemical, Information and communication technology and computer engineering. It also offers M.Tech and Ph.D. programs in the same streams. It additionally offers M.Tech. in Nuclear Technology. It also offers M.Tech. and Ph.D. programs in Solar Engineering.
- School of Liberal Studies (Established, 2009) offers: UG honors degree programs in Humanities, Management, Science and Commerce viz. Business Administration, Economics, English Literature, International Relations, Public Policy & Administration, Psychology, Mass Communication, Commerce, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics. It also offers MA Programs in English Literature, Public Policy & Administration, and International Relations; as well as Ph.D. programs in the same areas.
Campus and InfrastructureEdit
The campus is located at 14 km from the Ahmedabad Airport and 21 km from Ahmedabad's Kalupur Railway Station. It is 3 km off the main road connecting Gandhinagar to Ahmedabad Airport, Ahmedabad. The university is spread across a lush green pollution-free 100 acres campus with very good biodiversity. The entire space is dotted with lots of mango trees, and the campus houses 18 different varieties of birds.
The university started with a single building and then over the years, expanded infrastructure to four large administrative blocks, an auditorium block, hostel blocks, cafeteria block, sports grounds, and manicured gardens.
The entire area is walled with 4 access points, is CCTV monitored, and tobacco-free. On-campus facilities (apart from classrooms and offices) include SBI Branch, pharmacy, stationery store, resident daytime doctor, 24x7 doctor-on-call, ambulance, travel desk and campus store.
Office of Research and Sponsored ProgramsEdit
The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs provides support for the free and responsible conduct of investigative, scholarly and creative activities, including support from the initial stages of proposal development to grants management, publication, and the transfer of technology. It provides internally funded grants, pre-award and post-award support for externally funded grants and offer education and support information on grant compliance and the responsible conduct of research.
The university pursues active partnerships and collaborates with foreign universities through MOUs (Memorandum of Understanding). Partnership includes Summer student Exchange Program, and Co-operation in academics. Currently active partnerships include:
Washington & Jefferson College, Memorial University, Edith Cowan University, University of Bahrain, University of Manitoba, University of Wollongong, University of Alberta, University of Tulsa, Oklahoma University, University of Houston, Georgia Institute of Technology, Texas A&M, University of Saskatchewan, University of Regina, Western University, University of Trinidad & Tobago
PDPU campus has sporting facilities and boys and girls teams in Basketball, Volleyball, Cricket, Tennis, Football, Kabaddi, Table Tennis, Badminton, Athletics, Taekwondo, Ultimate frisbee, Kho-Kho, Chess and Carrom.
Petrocup is the annual sporting event, an inter-university contest with almost 5000 participants competing for the top position from 100+ campuses in India and abroad.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India". Ministry of Human Resource Development. Retrieved 2016-04-05.
- "SIRO Recognition Letter" (PDF). 2014-04-29.
- http://www.ugc.ac.in/inside/privateuniversities/pdpureprt.pdf UGC report on PDPU
- http://www.pdpu.ac.in/downloads/The_University_Act.pdf The Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University Act
- "1 MW Solar Power Plant commissioned at PDPU" (PDF). Gujarat Energy Development Agency Gandhinagar. 2012-09-06.
- "Maruti Suzkui and Gujarat Govt to set up Rs.150 crore International Centre of Excellence in Automobile". Desh Gujarat. 2015-02-25. Retrieved 2015-03-09.
- "PDPU state Act" (PDF).
- http://www.ugc.ac.in/privateuniversitylist.aspx?id=7&Unitype=3 | List of recognized private universities page on UGC website
- http://www.aiuweb.org/members/MembersP.asp | List of member universities on AIU website
- "20th SC 1st Cycle" (PDF).
- "UGC Grants Autonomy To 60 Educational Institutions: Here's What It Means". NDTV.com. Retrieved 2018-03-22.
- "In a historic decision, 60 Higher Educational Institutions granted autonomy by UGC : Shri Prakash Javadekar". pib.nic.in. Retrieved 2018-03-22.
- "PDPU - Ahmedabad Airport Distance". Google Maps.
- "PDPU - Ahmedabad Railway Station Distance". Google Maps.
- "Plantation of Kesar Mango grafts at Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University". Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University. 2011-08-05. Retrieved 2015-02-22.