Pan Sutong, JP is a Hong Kong businessman and entrepreneur. He is the Founder of Matsunichi Digital Holdings Limited, presently also the Chairman of Goldin Real Estate Financial Holdings Limited (also known as Goldin Group).
|Occupation||Founder of Matsunichi Digital Holdings Limited |
Chairman of Goldin Group
Chairman of Goldin Properties Holdings Limited
Chairman of Goldin Financial Holdings Limited
Vice President of the Federation of International Polo (FIP)
Chairman of the Hong Kong Polo Development and Promotion Federation (HKPDPF)
|Net worth||US$4.9 billion (Mar 2019)|
|Website||Official Website of Goldin Group|
Pan Sutong was born in Shaoguan, Guangdong, China in 1963. He emigrated to the USA in 1976, and then moved to Hong Kong in 1984 and started trading with electronics brands like Panasonic. In 1993, he founded Matsunichi Colour Display Monitor Company Limited, the main business of which is the manufacturing of home appliances. In 2002, he bought Hong Kong listed company Emperor Technology Venture Limited and had it renamed as Matsunichi Communication Holdings Limited. On 3 September 2008, this company was further renamed as Goldin Properties Holdings Limited. In late 2008, Pan Sutong bought another Hong Kong listed company, Fortuna International Holdings Limited, and had it renamed as Goldin Financial Holdings Limited. Pan Sutong privatized Goldin Properties Holdings Limited through a cash offer with the compulsory acquisition of all shares completed on 17 August 2017, the listing of shares of the company was withdrawn from the Hong Kong Stock Exchange on 18 August 2017.
Goldin Group includes Goldin Properties Holdings Limited, Goldin Financial Holdings Limited, Goldin Equities Limited, Matsunichi Digital Holdings Limited, while Goldin Financial Holdings Limited is listed on the Main Board of Hong Kong Stock Exchange, stock code being 00530.
In 2018, Pan Sutong was elected a member of the 13th National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference.
He is the Controlling Shareholder, the Chairman of the Board, the Chairman of the Nomination Committee and the Chairman of the Corporate Governance Committee of Goldin Financial Holdings Limited. He is also the Controlling Shareholder, the non-executive Director and Chairman of the Board, the Chief Executive Officer, the Chairman of the Nomination Committee, the Chairman of the Executive Committee and a member of the Remuneration Committee of Goldin Properties Holdings Limited.
According to Forbes 2019 World Billionaire's list, Pan was placed at number 365 with an estimated net worth of $4.9 billion.
In 2015, Pan made a donation to Lingnan University to establish the Pan Sutong Shanghai-Hong Kong Economic Policy Research Centre to strengthen research on issues related to the economic and financial development of Mainland China and Hong Kong.
In 2017, Pan Sutong, Peter Lam Kin-ngok, Cheng Cheung-ling and Chanchai Ruayrungruang jointly founded the Belt and Road General Chamber of Commerce.
Pan Sutong is a wine lover. In 2011, Goldin Group bought the 40-acre SLOAN ESTATE winery in the Napa Valley from Stuart Sloan, planted to Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc. The estate produces the flagship SLOAN and second label ASTERISK. The SLOAN 2002 and 2007 vintages were awarded 100 points by renowned wine critic Robert Parker.
On 30 May 2013, the Group purchased three more châteaux in Bordeaux, France, namely Château Le Bon Pasteur in Pomerol, Château Rolland-Maillet in Saint-Émilion and Château Bertineau St-Vincent in Lalande-de-Pomerol. The Château Le Bon Pasteur is a Pomerol AOC Bordeaux wine from world-renowned consulting oenologist Michel Rolland. As Goldin Financial's long-term working partner, Michel Rolland facilitated this acquisition. Similar to SLOAN, despite the transfer of ownership, all the wine-making procedures and processes at the châteaux will remain the same and be done by the same staff.
Pan Sutong is the Chairman of the non-profit-making Hong Kong Polo Development and Promotion Federation. In December 2012, Pan Sutong was elected as Vice President of the Federation of International Polo in the FIP Annual General Meeting. Tianjin Goldin Metropolitan Polo Club, which opened in November 2010, is owned by Pan Sutong's Goldin Group. The Club has held a number of international polo tournaments since its opening in November 2010, including Goldin International Snow Polo Challenge 2011, Goldin Cold Cup 2011, Goldin U18 Cup 2011, Fortune Heights Snow Polo World Cup 2012-2017, Fortune Heights Super Nations Cup 2012, 2013 and 2014, Maserati Metropolitan Polo Classic 2013 and 2014, and Metropolitan Intervarsity Polo 2013-2018. In June 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015, Goldin Group also sponsored the Goldin Charity Day held in Beaufort Polo Club in England, in which both Prince William and Prince Harry participated.
In 2011, Pan Sutong started participating in horse racing in Hong Kong and purchased a few high-priced thoroughbreds, including Tailwind, Gold-Fun, Akeed Mofeed, Giant Treasure, Obliterator, Consort, Gold Mount and Gold Land. According to news reports, Akeed Mofeed, sired by three-time Group 1 winner Dubawi, was priced as high as 20 million Hong Kong dollars. Akeed Mofeed finished 4th in the Irish Derby 2012 and won the BMW Hong Kong Derby 2013. Akeed Mofeed is also the 1st runner-up of the G2 LONGINES Jockey Club Cup (2000m) at Sha Tin racecourse on Sunday, 17 November, losing only by a diminishing head to Endowing, the champion. On 8 December 2013, Akeed Mofeed was crowned champion of G1 LONGINES Hong Kong Cup. Akeed Mofeed retired from racing on 6 June 2014 and stands as a stallion at owner Pan Sutong’s Goldin Farms, Lindsay Park in South Australia.
Gold-Fun is sired by Le Vie Dei Colori, a fourteen-time winner including the champion of Premio Vittorio Di Capua (GI) of Italy. He is the champion of the Hong Kong Classic Mile 2013 and the 2nd runner-up of BMW Hong Kong Derby 2013. On 1 October 2013, he was crowned champion of the National Day Cup 2013. Gold-Fun continued his victory by winning the G2 BOCHK Wealth Management Jockey Club Mile on 17 November. Gold-Fun stamped his class on the HKG1 Queen's Silver Jubilee Cup (1400m) at Sha Tin racecourse on 16 March 2014, with a commanding half-length victory over the consistently gallant Dan Excel. Gold-Fun had defied a 130lbs burden and a troubled stretch run to land the spoils in the 1400m contest from a star-studded field of rivals, and claimed the trophy of the Celebration Cup held on 5 October 2014. On 15 February 2015, Gold-Fun gained his first victory at a distance short of 1400m at HKG1 1200M The Chairman's Sprint Prize, winning a short-head from Aerovelocity. Gold-Fun continued his victory by winning the G2 BOCHK Wealth Management Jockey Club Sprint from Not Listenin’tome and Peniaphobia.
On 31 January 2016, Giant Treasure claimed his first top-flight victory at the G1 Stewards’ Cup (1600m), winning by a short-head over Luger.
Goldin Australia Pty Ltd, a subsidiary of Pan Sutong’s Goldin Group, announced on 12 September 2013 the completion of its acquisition of Lindsay Park Stud in Barossa Valley, South Australia, an esteemed 1257.5-acre horse breeding and training ground, for breeding top thoroughbred racehorses.
On 28 March 2018, Gold Mount won the Class 1 Happy Valley Vase Handicap (1800m), with a head to spare over a swooping Eagle Way.
In 2005, Pan Sutong's Matsunichi engaged Olympic Gold Medalist Michael Phelps as the Spokesperson of Matsunichi MP3 Player. According to news reports, Michael Phelps chose to collaborate with Matsunichi because he enjoyed listening to music to help him relax as well as focus before competition. Apart from doing TV commercials and attending product launching press conferences, as a spokesperson Michael Phelps was often seen using Matsunichi MP3 Player at poolside before competition.
- Notes to the Consolidated Financial Statements
- Conditional cash offer for all shares in Emperor Technology Venture Limited by Somerley Limited on behalf of Jade Forest Limited 
- Further Announcement In Relation To The Very Substantial Acquisition And Proposed Change Of Company Name 
- "JOINT ANNOUNCEMENT RELATING TO PRIVATISATION OF GOLDIN PROPERTIES HOLDINGS LIMITED" (PDF). Goldin Properties Holdings Limited. 2017-08-16.
- Goldin Real Estate Financial Holdings Limited – About Us
- etnet: 00530 Goldin Financial Holdings Limited
- "Lingnan University confers honorary doctorates upon three distinguished individuals". Lingnan University. 2018-11-22.
- Goldin Financial Holdings Limited – Group Introduction: Board of Directors 
- Bloomberg BusinessWeek
- Goldin Properties Holdings Limited – List of Directors and Their Roles and Functions 
- "The World's Billionaires". Forbes. Retrieved 2019-03-19.
- Hong Kong Polo Development and Promotion Federation (HKPDPF) Aims to Promote Polo as a Spectator and Competitive Lifestyle Sport "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-10-23. Retrieved 2013-10-22.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Snow Polo World Cup 2013: Message from the President of Federation of International Polo(FIP) "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-10-23. Retrieved 2013-10-22.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Pan Sutong Shanghai-Hong Kong Economic Policy Research Centre". www.ln.edu.hk. Retrieved 2018-05-08.
- "Chamber set up to ease Belt, Road path in SE Asia". The Standard. 2017-09-13. Retrieved 2018-05-08.
- the drinks business: Le Bon Pasteur Sold to Asian Investor
- Jeff Leve, "First Major Bordeaux Chateau Sells to Asian Investor is Big News!", The Wine Cellar Insider, May 30, 2013
- Lucy Shaw, "Le Bon Pasteur Sold to Asian Investor", The Drinks Business, May 31, 2013
- "POLO: The Tianjin Goldin Metropolitan Polo Club opened in November 2010 as China’s largest and most prestigious polo club", Goldin Group Website
- John O'Sullivan, "China: Wealthy elite revives the spirit of the emperors", The Financial Times, May 26, 2012
- Snow Polo World Cup 2012 Archived 2015-09-24 at the Wayback Machine
- Snow Polo World Cup 2013: Tournament Introduction Archived 2013-11-16 at the Wayback Machine
- Snow Polo World Cup 2014: Tournament Introduction Archived 2013-11-16 at the Wayback Machine
- "FIP FORTUNE HEIGHTS SNOW POLO WORLD CUP The Biggest Snow Polo Event in the World". 2015-01-27. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- Super Nations Cup 2012: Tournament Introduction
- Super Nations Cup 2013: Tournament Introduction
- Super Nations Cup 2014: Tournament Introduction
- Maserati Metropolitan Polo Classic 2013: Tournament Introduction
- Maserati Metropolitan Polo Classic 2014: Tournament Introduction
- Metropolitan Intervarsity Polo 2013: Tournament Introduction
- Metropolitan Intervarsity Polo 2014: Tournament Introduction Archived 2014-09-18 at Archive.today
- Metropolitan Intervarsity Polo 2015: Tournament Introduction
- Gloucestershire Festival of Polo 2014: Piaget wins Charity Cup
- Hong Kong Jockey Club: Names of New Horses 27/10/2014
- Hong Kong Jockey Club: Names of New Horses 19/12/2014
- Hong Kong Jockey Club Horse Information: Consort
- "GOLD MOUNT - Horses - Horse Racing - The Hong Kong Jockey Club". www.hkjc.com. Retrieved 2018-05-08.
- "GOLD LAND - Horses - Horse Racing - The Hong Kong Jockey Club". www.hkjc.com. Retrieved 2018-05-08.
- The Hong Kong Jockey Club: Racing Information – Akeed Mofeed
- Racing Post.com: Akeed Mofeed victorious in Derby for Gibson
- Racing Post.com: Akeed Mofeed Race Record
- "Endowing steps up to beat the big guns in the G2 LONGINES Jockey Club Cup". Hong Kong Jockey Club. 2013-11-17. Archived from the original on 2013-12-13. Retrieved 2013-11-20.
- "Whyte back in the good books in LONGINES Hong Kong Cup". Hong Kong Jockey Club. 2013-12-08. Archived from the original on 2013-12-13. Retrieved 2013-12-08.
- "Hong Kong champ retired to stud in Australia". Racing Network. 2014-06-06. Archived from the original on 2014-06-06. Retrieved 2014-06-06.
- The Hong Kong Jockey Club News: Gibson talks about the performance of GOLD-FUN "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-10-29. Retrieved 2013-10-23.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- The Hong Kong Jockey Club: Racing Information – The National Day Cup
- "Gold run for Gold-Fun in G2 BOCHK Wealth Management Jockey Club Mile". Hong Kong Jockey Club Racing News. 2013-11-17. Archived from the original on 2013-12-13. Retrieved 2013-11-20.
- "Whyte strikes Gold in Queen's Silver Jubilee Cup". Hong Kong Jockey Club Racing News. 2014-03-16. Archived from the original on 2014-03-17. Retrieved 2014-03-17.
- "Gold-Fun surges to HKG3 Celebration Cup triumph". Hong Kong Jockey Club Racing News. 2014-10-05. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- "Soumillon delivers Gold in Chairman's Sprint Prize thriller". Hong Kong Jockey Club Racing News. 2015-02-15. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- "Gold for Soumillon in BOCHK Wealth Management Jockey Club Sprint". Hong Kong Jockey Club Racing News. 2015-11-27. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- "Giant Treasure plunders Stewards' Cup". Hong Kong Jockey Club Racing News. 2016-01-31. Retrieved 2016-02-16.
- "收購澳洲牧場 潘蘇通啟動頂級純種馬匹繁育事業". Herald. 2013-09-18. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- "Sanna stars in saddle as Gold Mount takes Happy Valley Vase – Racing News – The Hong Kong Jockey Club". racingnews.hkjc.com. Retrieved 2018-05-08.
- USATODAY: Phelps snares endorsement for MP3 players
- 甲A广州松日老板建中国第一高楼 身价曾达千亿