Our Man in Paris
This section needs additional citations for verification. (June 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Our Man in Paris is a 1963 jazz album by saxophonist Dexter Gordon. The album's title refers to where the recording was made, Gordon (who had moved to Copenhagen a year earlier) teaming up with fellow expatriates Bud Powell and Kenny Clarke, both Parisian residents, and native Parisian Pierre Michelot. Powell, Clarke and Michelot, under the name The Three Bosses, had played together often in Paris since Powell moved there in 1959.
|Our Man in Paris|
|Studio album by Dexter Gordon|
|Recorded||May 23, 1963|
|Studio||CBS Studios, Paris|
|Dexter Gordon chronology|
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz|||
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
The original intention was for the pianist on the recording to be Kenny Drew and for the music to be new compositions by Gordon. However, the actual pianist used was Bud Powell, who would not play new music, so jazz standards were chosen during the rehearsal. The two tracks added to the CD release were originally issued by Blue Note on Bud Powell's Alternate Takes in 1985.
The Penguin Guide to Jazz gave it a maximum four-star rating and added it to the core collection, commenting that Gordon's playing on "A Night in Tunisia" "is one of his finest performances on record" and concluding that the album is "a classic". The review of the 2003 remastered version in The Guardian was similarly positive, stating that it is "one of the all-time classics".
- "Scrapple from the Apple" (Parker) – 7:22
- "Willow Weep for Me" (Ronell) – 8:47
- "Broadway" (Billy Byrd, McRae, Henri Woode) – 6:44
- "Stairway to the Stars" (Malneck, Parish, Signorelli) – 6:57
- "A Night in Tunisia" (Gillespie, Frank Paparelli) – 8:15
- Bonus tracks on CD reissue
- Dexter Gordon – tenor saxophone (except track 7)
- Bud Powell – piano
- Pierre Michelot – bass
- Kenny Clarke – drums
- Billboard Dec 28, 1963
- Jurek, Thom (2011). "Our Man in Paris - Dexter Gordon | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 1 August 2011.
- Fordham, John (September 5, 2003) "Under the bonnet" The Guardian, p. B24.
- Cook, Richard and Morton, Brian (2008) The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings (9th ed.), Penguin, p. 581.
- Swenson, J., ed. (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 87. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.
- Cuscuna, Michael. In Our Man in Paris [1986 CD liner notes] Blue Note 0777 7 46394 2 2.