Oskar von Hinüber
Oskar von Hinüber, is a German Indologist who was born in Hanover in 1939. From 1960 to 1966 he studied at University of Tübingen, University of Erlangen–Nuremberg and University of Mainz, receiving his Ph.D. in 1966. From 1965 to 1981 von Hinüber served as Assistant and then Associate Professor at Mainz and from 1981 was Professor of Indology at University of Freiburg. He retired from service in March, 2006.
Von Hinüber's special interests are Pāli, Sanskrit, and Middle Indo-Aryan language, the history of technology in South Asia, inscriptions of the Northwest, and manuscripts and manuscript traditions in South and Southeast Asia. Among his many publications, the Handbook of Pali Literature is especially indicative of his comprehensive learning and scholarly authority.
- A Handbook of Pali Literature
- Indiens Weg in die Moderne
- Kleine Schriften (Veröffentlichungen der Glasenapp-Stiftung)
- Bio-data retrieved July 2012 from: http://www.infinityfoundation.com/mandala/t_ed/t_ed_hinue_cv_frameset.htm
- Data retrieved in July, 2012 from: http://www.pr.uni-freiburg.de/pm/2009/pm.2009-02-16.59/
- von Hinüber, A Handbook of Pali Literature (Berlin, Walter de Gruyter, 1997), reissued 2001, 2008 ISBN 9788121507783.
- "Amazon.com: Oskar von Hinüber: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle". Amazon.com. Retrieved 24 February 2014.