Ornella Domini (born 2 November 1988) is a Swiss professional boxer. She is a two-time European female welterweight champion, having held the title since 2019 and previously from 2013 to 2015. She also challenged for the WBC female super-welterweight title in 2018. As of September 2020, Domini is ranked as the world's fifth best active female welterweight by The Ring and ninth by BoxRec.
|Born||2 November 1988|
|Wins by KO||3|
Professional career edit
Following four more wins, one by TKO, she defeated the European female super-lightweight champion Sabrina Giuliani—who had moved up a weight class to face Domini—via ten-round split decision (SD), capturing the inaugural European female welterweight title on 9 November 2013 at the Hotel Ramada. The two ringside judges scored the bout 96–95 in favour of Domini while the referee scored it 97–94 to Giuliani. After two unanimous decision (UD) victories in non-title bouts in 2014—Kremena Petkova in March and Borislava Goranova in May—Domini defeated Giuliani in a rematch on 28 March 2015, retaining her European title via ten-round UD at the Hotel Ramada with the scorecards reading 100–91, 97–93, and 97–93.
Domini was scheduled to face undisputed female welterweight champion Cecilia Brækhus on 28 November 2015 at the ESPRIT Arena in Düsseldorf, Germany, with Brækhus' WBA, WBC, IBF, and WBO titles on the line. The bout was set to serve on the undercard of Wladimir Klitschko vs. Tyson Fury. However, the bout was called off after Brækhus suffered an injury. Following another postponement of a bout with Brækhus, coupled with commitments outside of boxing, Domini made the decision to retire from the sport.
After two years out of the ring, she made her return on 1 April 2017, defeating Lela Terashvili via six-round UD at the Hotel Ramada. Two months later Domini suffered the first defeat of her career, losing by UD over six rounds against Ruth Chisale on 24 June. She bounced back from defeat with a third round stoppage via corner retirement (RTD) against former opponent Lela Terashvili in November, followed by two UD victories against Mariam Tatunashvili in March and September 2018.
Her next fight came against WBC female super-welterweight champion Ewa Piątkowska on 10 November 2018 at the Gliwice Arena in Gliwice, Poland. In what was described as a dominant performance from the champion, Domini suffered her second professional defeat, losing by UD with the judges' scorecards reading 100–90, 99–91, and 98–92.
Following the loss, she recaptured the vacant European female welterweight title, defeating Szilvia Szabados via ten-round UD on 9 March 2019 at the Hotel Ramada with the scorecards reading 99–91, 98–93, and 97–94. The pair had a rematch one year later on 7 March at the same venue, with Domini retaining her title with a SD victory.
Professional boxing record edit
|17 fights||15 wins||2 losses|
|17||Win||15–2||Szilvia Szabados||SD||10||7 Mar 2020||Hotel Ramada, Geneva, Switzerland||Retained European female welterweight title|
|16||Win||14–2||Szilvia Szabados||UD||10||9 Mar 2019||Hotel Ramada, Geneva, Switzerland||Won vacant European female welterweight title|
|15||Loss||13–2||Ewa Piątkowska||UD||10||10 Nov 2018||Gliwice Arena, Gliwice, Poland||For WBC female super-welterweight title|
|14||Win||13–1||Mariam Tatunashvili||UD||8||29 Sep 2018||Hotel Ramada, Geneva, Switzerland|
|13||Win||12–1||Mariam Tatunashvili||UD||8||10 Mar 2018||Hotel Ramada, Geneva, Switzerland|
|12||Win||11–1||Lela Terashvili||RTD||3 (8), 1:55||4 Nov 2017||Hotel Ramada, Geneva, Switzerland|
|11||Loss||10–1||Ruth Chisale||UD||6||24 Jun 2017||Salle de Fetes, Vernier, Switzerland|
|10||Win||10–0||Lela Terashvili||UD||6||1 Apr 2017||Hotel Ramada, Geneva, Switzerland|
|9||Win||9–0||Sabrina Giuliani||UD||10||28 Mar 2015||Hotel Ramada, Geneva, Switzerland||Retained European female welterweight title|
|8||Win||8–0||Borislava Goranova||UD||6||17 May 2014||Salle Communale, Versoix, Switzerland|
|7||Win||7–0||Kremena Petkova||UD||6||29 Mar 2014||Salle Communale, Nyon, Switzerland|
|6||Win||6–0||Sabrina Giuliani||SD||10||9 Nov 2013||Hotel Ramada, Geneva, Switzerland||Won inaugural European female welterweight title|
|5||Win||5–0||Maja Jahic||UD||6||29 Jun 2013||Salle de Fetes, Vernier, Switzerland|
|4||Win||4–0||Sanja Ostojic||UD||6||25 May 2013||Sporthalle Badbetrieb, Bad Ragaz, Switzerland|
|3||Win||3–0||Maja Jahic||PTS||6||29 Mar 2013||Sports Palace, Cazin, Bosnia and Herzegovina|
|2||Win||2–0||Masa Bacanov||TKO||3 (6), 1:55||9 Mar 2013||Salle Communale, Nyon, Switzerland|
|1||Win||1–0||Daniela Bickei||TKO||3 (6), 1:30||26 Jan 2013||Hotel Ramada, Geneva, Switzerland|
- "Boxing record for Ornella Domini". BoxRec.
- "The Ring Women's Ratings". The Ring. 8 September 2020. Retrieved 29 September 2020.
- "BoxRec: Female welterweight ratings". boxrec.com. Retrieved 29 September 2020.
- "BoxRec: Ornella Domini vs. Daniela Bickei". BoxRec. Retrieved 29 September 2020.
- McGrady, Jim (12 November 2013). "Women's Boxing: The Weekly Wrap Up". The Boxing Tribune. Retrieved 29 September 2020.
- "BoxRec: Ornella Domini vs. Sabrina Giuliani I". BoxRec. Retrieved 29 September 2020.
- "BoxRec: Ornella Domini vs. Kremena Petkova". BoxRec. Retrieved 29 September 2020.
- "BoxRec: Ornella Domini vs. Borislava Goranova". BoxRec. Retrieved 29 September 2020.
- Roch, Philippe (30 March 2015). "Ornella Domini conserve son titre avec maestria". 24 heures (in French). ISSN 1424-4039. Retrieved 29 September 2020.
- Kemp, Jay (6 November 2015). "Cecilia Brækhus vs. Ornella Domini Hits HBO on November 28th". Women of Boxing. Retrieved 30 September 2020.
- Berger, Benjamin (1 April 2017). "Ornella Domini est de retour aux affaires, gare à ses adversaires". Tribune de Genève (in French). ISSN 1010-2248. Retrieved 30 September 2020.
- "BoxRec: Ornella Domini vs. Lela Terashvili I". BoxRec. Retrieved 30 September 2020.
- "SwissBoxing - News". Swiss Boxing (in French). 29 June 2017. Retrieved 30 September 2020.
- "BoxRec: Ornella Domini vs. Lela Terashvili II". BoxRec. Retrieved 30 September 2020.
- "BoxRec: Ornella Domini vs. Mariam Tatunashvili I". BoxRec. Retrieved 30 September 2020.
- "BoxRec: Ornella Domini vs. Mariam Tatunashvili II". BoxRec. Retrieved 30 September 2020.
- Sukachev, Alexey (10 November 2018). "Artur Szpilka Survives Near Disaster To Edge Mariusz Wach". BoxingScene. Retrieved 30 September 2020.
- "Ewa Piatkowska Cruises to Dominating Win over Ornella Domini to Retain her WBC Welterweight Championship". Women of Boxing. 11 November 2018. Retrieved 30 September 2020.
- Blanc, Georges (11 March 2019). "Bruno Tavares en conquérant". www.laliberte.ch (in French). Retrieved 30 September 2020.
- "BoxRec: Ornella Domini vs. Szilvia Szabados I". BoxRec. Retrieved 30 September 2020.
- Maillard, Christian (8 March 2020). "Ornella Domini vacille mais conserve sa couronne". 24 heures (in French). ISSN 1424-4039. Retrieved 30 September 2020.