Oregon Department of Education
The Department of Education of the U.S. state of Oregon is responsible for implementing the state's public education policies, including academic standards and testing, credentials, and other matters not reserved to the local districts and boards. The department is overseen by the Governor, acting as State Superintendent of Public Instruction. Agencies of the department include the Chief Education Office (formerly the Oregon Education Investment Board), the Early Learning Division, the Higher Education Coordinating Commission, the State Board of Education, and the Youth Development Division.
The Governor appoints a Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction to act as chief administrator of public education from kindergarten through high school. The Deputy Superintendent carries out the state policies set by the State Board of Education and by the Oregon State Legislature.
- "ORS 326.300 (2013) - Governor as Superintendent of Public Instruction". Oregon Legislative Counsel Committee. Retrieved 2015-11-17.
- "Organization Overview 2015" (PDF). Oregon Department of Education. 2015. Retrieved 2015-11-17.
- "ORS 326.310 (2013) - Superintendents educational duties". Oregon Legislative Counsel Committee. Retrieved 2015-11-17.
- "Education service districts". Oregon School Boards Association. Retrieved 2015-11-17.
- "About Us". Oregon Department of Education. Retrieved 2015-11-18.