The Order of Merit (Portuguese: Ordem do Mérito) is a Portuguese Honorific Order of civil merit intended to award those responsible for meritorious acts or services performed in the exercise of any functions, both in the public and the private sphere, which reveal self-sacrifice in favor of the community. The decorations are given by the President of the Portuguese Republic, in his role as the Grand-Master of the Portuguese Honorific Orders. The Order of Merit can be awarded, during life or posthumously, to both Portuguese and foreign citizens; it can also be awarded to localities or institutions that are legal persons governed by public law or of public utility. This order has been awarded to a number of people performing the most diverse functions such as ambassadors, businesspeople, military personnel, athletes and musicians.
|Order of Merit|
Ordem do Mérito
|Awarded by Portuguese Republic|
|Established||1927 as the Order of Instruction and of Benefaction|
1929 as the Order of Benefaction
1976 Current form
|Eligibility||Portuguese and foreign citizens; military or civilian|
|Awarded for||Meritorious acts or services in the exercise of any functions, public or private, revealing self-sacrifice in favor of the community.|
|Grand Master||President of the Portuguese Republic|
|Chancellor||Maria Helena Nazaré|
|Next (higher)||Order of Camões|
|Next (lower)||Order of Public Instruction|
Ribbon bar of the Order of Merit
The Order of Merit has its origin in April 1927, when the Order of Instruction and Benefaction (Original Portuguese: Ordem da Instrução e da Benemerência) was created. The goal of this now extinct order was to distinguish the services performed by people or corporations in order to further the instruction in the country. In 1929, the Order of Instruction and Benefaction was split in two different orders, the Order of Benefaction and the Order of Public Instruction, with the former now solely awarding acts related to social causes, public assistance and goodwill. In 1976, the order was renamed to its current title.
- Grand Cross (GCM) (Grã-Cruz)
- Grand Officer (GOM) (Grande-Oficial)
- Commander (ComM) (Comendador or Comendadeira)
- Officer (OM) (Oficial)
- Medal (MedM) (Medalha)
- Honorary Member (MHM) (Membro Honorário)
Citizens awarded with the Order of MeritEdit
- "Lei n.º 5/2011 : Lei das Ordens Honoríficas Portuguesas" [Law of the Portuguese Honorific Orders] (PDF) (in Portuguese). Diário da República Electrónico, 1.ª série — N.º 43. 2 March 2011. p. 1255. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "Ordens de Mérito Civil" [Orders of Civil Merit] (in Portuguese). Presidência da República Portuguesa. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "História da Ordem do Mérito" [History of the Order of Merit] (in Portuguese). Presidência da República Portuguesa. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- Anuário Ordens Honoríficas Portuguesas 1975-2007 (PDF) (in Portuguese). Chancelaria das Ordens Honoríficas Portuguesas. June 2008. pp. 5–63. ISBN 978-972-8971-40-3. Archived from the original (Adobe Acrobat) on 2009-12-17. Retrieved 2010-09-12. List of all appointments to the Order of Merit correct as at December 2007
- "Cidadãos Nacionais agraciados com ordens portuguesas". Presidência da República Portuguesa. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "Ruy de Carvalho condecorado com a Grã-Cruz da Ordem de Mérito" [Ruy de Carvalho awarded with the Great Cross of the Order of Merit] (in Portuguese). Sapo24. 1 March 2017. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "Nicolau Breyner: prémios e nomeações de uma carreira" [Nicolau Breyner: prizes and nominations of a career] (in Portuguese). Observador. 14 March 2016. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "Marcelo condecora Carlos do Carmo, que "enche a alma dos portugueses"" [Marcelo awards Carlos do Carmo, who "fills the soul of the Portuguese"]. Diário de Notícias (in Portuguese). 25 August 2016. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "Foram condecorados no 10 de Junho e caíram em desgraça". Revista Sábado. 10 June 2015. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "Morreu Raul Nery". Expresso. 14 June 2012. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "Cavaco condecora Nelly Furtado e outros luso-canadianos". www.dn.pt (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2019-06-10.
- "Seleção recebe insígnias de Marcelo no Porto" [National team receives insignia from Marcelo in Porto]. Diário de Notícias (in Portuguese). 3 December 2016. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "Marcelo condecora oito atletas com a Ordem do Mérito" [Marcelo awards eight athletes with the Order of Merit]. Diário de Notícias (in Portuguese). 13 July 2016. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "Eurovisão. Irmãos Sobral nomeados comendadores por "êxito singular"". PÚBLICO (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2018-04-23.
- Senate, California Legislature (1997). Journal of the Senate, Legislature of the State of California. California State Printing Office.
- "Chancelaria das Ordens Honoríficas Portuguesas" (PDF). dre.pt (in Portuguese). Retrieved 12 September 2010.