One Penn Plaza
One Penn Plaza (1 Penn Plaza) is a skyscraper in New York City, located between 33rd Street and 34th Street, west of Seventh Avenue, and adjacent to Pennsylvania Station and Madison Square Garden. It is the tallest building in the Pennsylvania Plaza complex of office buildings, hotels, and entertainment facilities.
|One Penn Plaza|
One Penn Plaza, looking south.
|Alternative names||1 Penn Plaza|
|Location||250 West 34th Street, Manhattan, New York, U.S. 10119|
|Owner||Vornado Realty Trust|
|Roof||229 m (751 ft)|
|Floor area||2,586,525 sq ft (240,296.0 m2)|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Kahn & Jacobs|
|Structural engineer||The Office of James Ruderman|
The skyscraper was designed by Kahn & Jacobs and completed in 1972. It reaches 750 feet (230 m) with 57 floors. The tower has three setbacks at 7th, 14th, and 55th floors. From its location on the west side of Manhattan, most south, west and north-facing tenants have unobstructed views of the Hudson River. The lobby was refurbished in 1995 and is undergoing another refurbishment beginning in 2019.
In 2009, plans were made to install a cogeneration plant in order to heat the building more efficiently. By 2010, it was reported that when the new plant was activated, it nearly cut the building's carbon output in half.
The building has 14 entrances and 44 elevators in seven banks. An underground parking garage provides 695 spaces for cars and is accessible from both 33rd and 34th Streets. Direct passageways at each end of the building provide underground connections to the Long Island Rail Road concourse of Pennsylvania Station, which is located one block to the south. The ground floor is leased to several commercial tenants, including the top floor of a 142,000 square feet (13,200 m2), three-story K-Mart store (formerly occupied by Woolworth), and a restaurant.
A public plaza and fountain are located on the west end of the building. Unlike traditional fountains, steam is dispensed in the winter and fog is dispensed in the summer to prevent water from splashing out during gusty wind conditions.
- Bytemark, Inc. occupies Suite 1100 on the 11th Floor.
- Derek Smith Law Group, occupies Suite 4905 on the 49th Floor.
- Law firm Gibbons P.C. occupies the entire 37th floor.
- MarkLogic, an enterprise NoSQL software vendor, has a suite of offices on the 42nd floor.
- Mitel Networks, a "unified communications solution" provider, occupies a suite of offices on the 25th floor.
- The Negotiation Institute (TNI) is headquartered in One Penn Plaza and occupies the 49th floor.
- WSP USA, formerly Parsons Brinckerhoff, is headquartered in One Penn Plaza and occupies the 2nd and 3rd floors.
- URS Corporation New York City Office occupies most of the 6th and 7th floors of One Penn Plaza.
- Riverbed Technology occupies a suite of offices on the 17th floor.
- Goetz Fitzpatrick LLP, a law firm, occupies a quarter of the 31st floor.
- CipherHealth has their headquarters on most of the 31st floor.
- Insight Enterprises has offices on the 19th floor.
- Cookie Jar Entertainment has an office in Suite 3324.
- Fullymail America, 20th and 21st floor.
- Milliman, Inc., a worldwide actuarial consulting firm, occupies the 38th floor.
- Vining Sparks IBG, LP, an investment services broker-dealer has offices on the 16th floor
- Cisco Systems, a Fortune 500 IT networking and telephony company, occupies part of the 6th and the entire 9th floor.
- Polycom, a telecommunications equipment manufacturer, occupies the 48th floor.
- DLB Associates, the mechanical and electrical engineers for the majority of Google's datacenters worldwide, occupies the 26th floor.
- Icon Penn Plaza Parking operates the 695 car underground parking garage as of April 1, 2013
- The North Highland Company, a management consulting firm
- Blue Polo Interactive, has an office in suite 5320.
- Logicalis Inc., US Headquarters is located on the 51st floor.
- CS Technology, worldwide IT management consultancy, is headquartered on the 54th floor
- Lexington Realty Trust is located on the 40th floor.
- Corvil Limited, US headquarters are located on the 14th floor as of January 2017. Some of their customers include 18 of the top 20 global investment banks and most of the world's exchanges.
- Molton Brown USA Limited, corporate offices located on the 41st floor
- Infoblox-NYC Sales office located on the 36th floor
- Gigamon, NY Region Offices are located on the 14th Floor. Gigamon is the worldwide leader in network visibility solutions.
- Lugo Cucina Italiana, an Italian Restaurant owned by LDV Hospitality, is located at street level
- WhoTrades subsidiary Just2Trade, an online equity trading and financial services firm, has offices on the 16th floor
- Rapaport Law Firm, PLLC, an employment and commercial litigation firm, occupies a suite of offices on the 24th floor
- "One Penn Plaza". Skyscraper Center. CTBUH. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- Bagli, Charles V. (January 18, 1998). "Helmsley, Poised to Sell Empire, Mends Fences Along the Way". The New York Times. Retrieved September 18, 2009.
- Appelbaum, Alec (February 24, 2009). "Towers in Manhattan Gather Heat from Power Generators". The New York Times. Retrieved September 18, 2009.
- Colven, Jill (November 16, 2010). "One Penn Plaza Flicks the Switch on Power Plant That Almost Halves Carbon Footprint". DNAinfo New York. Archived from the original on March 10, 2016. Retrieved July 31, 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Wallace. Benjamin, "What’s Up, Spock?: He might be a famous Vulcan, but Zachary Quinto has no problem being fully human", New York, October 16, 2011
- Jon Chesto, "Director of “Margin Call” didn’t need a big budget to depict Wall Street’s mortgage meltdown" Archived 2011-10-25 at the Wayback Machine, WickedLocal.com
- Holusha, John (August 25, 1996). "Kmart Coming to Manhattan With 34th Street Store". The New York Times. Retrieved September 18, 2009.
- Barron, James (July 24, 1997). "Penn Plaza Solves Wind Problem With a Special-Effects Fountain". The New York Times. Retrieved September 18, 2009.
- "Contact-General". Cookie Jar Entertainment. Archived from the original on January 11, 2010. Retrieved January 24, 2010. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "DLB Associates". Retrieved April 13, 2016.
- "New York Digital Branding Agency - Blue Polo Interactive". Blue Polo Interactive. Retrieved April 13, 2016.