One Fine Day (Chris Rea album)
One Fine Day is the twenty-fifth studio album by British singer-songwriter Chris Rea, released on 18 October 2019 by Rhino Entertainment label both on CD and on vinyl. This is a limited release.
|One Fine Day|
|Studio album by|
|Released||18 October 2019|
|Studio||Chipping Norton Recording Studios|
|Producer||Chris Rea, Jon Kelly|
|Chris Rea chronology|
Rea announced that the album would be limited to 1000 copies. One Fine Day was originally recorded in 1980 at Chipping Norton Recording Studios and was produced by Rea himself. The compositions have never officially been released as a single work, so the present album unites this collection of nine songs for the first time. Some of the tracks have never been released, while other re-recorded versions have appeared on various albums and as B-sides on singles. Rea himself created the album cover a few years ago.
Stefan Kyriazis of the Daily Express stated, "The endearing husky gravel of Rea’s voice, coupled with his undoubted guitar skills, ensures that his body of work remains in the rudest of health." Paul Whimpenny of Velvet Thunder wrote, "Chris Rea fans will immediately be drawn to the three new songs: If I Ever Break Free, an upbeat song with gospel touches in the chorus; Members Only, a fairly straight forward 12-bar blues tune; and One Night With You which sounds rather like Leonard Cohen being accompanied by an Oompah band! They are three pleasant songs but it’s certainly not a scandal that they haven’t been released before. The remaining six songs allow an interesting comparison with versions that were subsequently released, and in my view these original versions are often better. One Sweet Tender Touch is a case in point. It is recorded here brilliantly as a slow emotional bluesy song which sadly gets speeded up into a mainstream pop tune with the piano and Hammond replaced by a layer of sugary synths. Another chameleon-like song is Let Me Be The One, which originally appeared as a non-descript ballad on the B-side of Loving You, but here in its original guise is an infectious Springsteen-style rock’n’roll boogie... This album might not match up musically to those re-releases but it is a truly fascinating insight into the artist when on the cusp of that success."
One Fine Day debuted #67 on the iTunes Italian Albums Chart.
All tracks are written by Chris Rea.
|1.||"Do You Still Dream?"||4:10|
|3.||"One Fine Day"||4:05|
|4.||"One Sweet and Tender Touch"||4:43|
|5.||"If I Ever Break Free"||2:57|
|8.||"Let Me Be the One"||3:23|
|9.||"One Night with You"||4:31|
- Chris Rea – guitar, piano, producer, slide guitar, vocals
- Ed Hession – accordion
- Bruce Lynch – guitar (bass)
- Sylvin Marc – guitar (bass)
- Dave Paton – guitar (bass)
- Andrew Powell – guitar (bass)
- Robert Ahwai – guitar
- Jim Mullen – guitar
- Alan Murphy – guitar
- Gerry O'Connor – banjo
- Dave Mattacks – drums
- Martin Ditcham – drums
- Max Middleton – keyboards
- Michael Moran – piano
- Burleigh Drummond – vocals
- David Pack – vocals
- Joe Puerta – vocals
- Linda Taylor – vocals (background)
- Carol Kenyon – vocals (background)
- Katie Kissoon – vocals (background)
- Kyriazis, Stefan (9 November 2019). "November albums REVIEWED: REM, Sting, Steve Hackett, Chris Rea, Marillion, Hawkwind". Daily Express. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- "One Fine Day - Chris Rea | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2 February 2020.
- "Chris Rea - One Fine Day". Discogs. Retrieved 2 February 2020.
- "Chris Rea - One Fine Day (2019) - MusicMeter.nl" (in Dutch). musicmeter.nl. Retrieved 2 February 2020.
- "Новый альбом CHRIS REA - One Fine Day (2019)". Планета рока (in Russian). planetrock.ru. 20 October 2019. Retrieved 2 February 2020.
- "One Fine Day (1LP + 1CD Package) | Chris Rea | Rhino Store". store.rhino.co.uk. Retrieved 2 February 2020.
- Whimpenny, Paul (October 27, 2019). "Chris Rea – One Fine Day (Rhino)". Velvet Thunder. Retrieved 3 February 2020.
- "iTunesCharts.net: 'One Fine Day' by Chris Rea (Italian Albums iTunes Chart)". itunescharts.net. Retrieved 18 February 2020.