One Fair Summer Evening
One Fair Summer Evening is Nanci Griffith's seventh album, and her first one recorded in a live setting. It was recorded on August 19 and August 20, 1988 at Anderson Fair, a Houston, Texas club long known for featuring folk artists in an intimate setting.
|One Fair Summer Evening|
|Live album by|
|Recorded||August 19–20, 1988|
|Venue||Anderson Fair, Houston, Texas|
|Producer||Nanci Griffith, Tony Brown|
|Nanci Griffith chronology|
Griffith mainly performs live versions of songs from her previously released albums, but adds in a couple of new ones: "Deadwood, South Dakota" and "I Would Bring You Ireland". The album rose into the #43 position of the Billboard Country Albums chart.
AllMusic's Lindsay Planer gives the album 4½ out of a possible 5 stars and begins the review with, "This is singer/songwriter Nanci Griffith's first live album, and it captures the essence of what has endeared Griffith to fans of both folk and cosmopolitan country. Although One Fair Summer Evening was not an immediate phenomenon at the cash registers, the revealing nature of the performance has secured it a place in the hearts of enthusiasts since its release in 1988."
Jon Cummings of PopDose writes, "Stripped of most of the country elements that had been ladled over their studio versions, Griffith’s songs emerge crisp and timeless; indeed, these live recordings accomplish the rare feat of rendering their studio antecedents obsolete."
All tracks are written by Nanci Griffith, except where indicated.
|1.||"Once in a Very Blue Moon"||Patrick Alger, Eugene Levine||2:53|
|2.||"Looking for the Time (Workin' Girl"||2:52|
|3.||"Deadwood, South Dakota"||Eric Taylor||4:59|
|4.||"More Than a Whisper"||Nanci Griffith, Bobby Nelson||3:39|
|5.||"I Would Bring You Ireland"||3:21|
|6.||"Roseville Fair"||Bill Staines||3:32|
|7.||"Workin' in Corners"||3:58|
|8.||"Trouble in the Fields"||Nanci Griffith, Rick West||3:57|
|9.||"The Wing and the Wheel"||3:11|
|10.||"From a Distance"||Julie Gold||4:37|
|11.||"Love at the Five and Dime"||7:08|
|12.||"Spin on a Red Brick Floor"||3:11|
- Producers - Nanci Griffith and Tony Brown
- Associate Producer - Buzz Stone
- Engineer - Phillip Barrett
- Assistant Engineer - Steve Lowney, Andy Vastola
- Second Engineers - Marty Williams, Mark J. Coddington
- Mastered by - Glenn Meadows
- CD Master Tape Prepared by - Glenn Meadows
- Digital Editing - Milan Bogdan
- Art Direction - Simon Levy
- Design - Virginia Team/Jerry Joyner
- Photography - Peter Nash
|U.S. Billboard Top Country Albums||43|
- Lindsay Planer. "One Fair Summer Evening - Nanci Griffith | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-06-20.
- Cummings, Jon (8 January 2008). "The Popdose Guide to Nanci Griffith". PopDose. Retrieved 5 March 2020.
- "Nanci Griffith – One Fair Summer Evening". discogs.com. Discogs. Retrieved 4 March 2020.
- "Nanci Griffith – One Fair Summer Evening". allmusic.com. AllMusic. Retrieved 4 March 2020.
- One Fair Summer Evening (liner notes). Nanci Griffith. MCA. 1988. MCAD-42255.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "Nanci Griffith Chart History (Top Country Albums)". Billboard. December 23, 1988. Retrieved March 6, 2020.