Olympian High School
Olympian High School is a public high school located within the Sweetwater Union High School District in San Diego County, California. The school, with a capacity of 2,500 students, opened in the Summer of August 2006. It is located in the outskirts of the Otay Ranch area of Chula Vista.
|Olympian High School|
1925 Magdalena Avenue
|School type||Public high school|
|Motto||Where Champions Are Made|
|Founded||August 7, 2006|
|School district||Sweetwater Union High School District|
|Teaching staff||101.35 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||24.43|
|Rivals||Bonita Vista High School|
Eastlake High School
Otay Ranch High School
With the 54-acre (220,000 m2) site for the school being located only a couple miles from the Olympic Training Center, naming the school Olympic High School seemed a logical choice; but the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) denied the request to use the name "Olympic." Following further negotiations with the USOC, Sweetwater Union High School District was authorized to use the name Olympic Vista High School. The USOC did eventually approve the use Olympian High School as the name of the school resulting in a quick name change.
The demographic breakdown of the 1,900 students enrolled for the 2012-2013 school year was:
- Male - 53.4%
- Female - 46.6%
- Native American/Alaskan - 0.2%
- Asian/Pacific islanders - 24.5%
- Black - 7.3%
- Hispanic - 53.6%
- White - 8.7%
- Multiracial - 5.7%
In addition, 28.3% of the students were eligible for free or reduced price lunch.
- AP Art History
- AP Biology
- AP Calculus AB
- AP Calculus BC
- AP Computer Science A
- AP Computer Science Principals
- AP English Language
- AP English Literature
- AP Government
- AP Human Geography
- AP Italian
- AP Literature
- AP Music Theory
- AP Physics
- AP Spanish Language
- AP Spanish Literature
- AP Statistics
- AP Studio Art
- AP U.S. History
- AP World History
Olympian High School offers the following athletic programs:
- "Olympian High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved May 4, 2020.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Olympian High". ed.gov. Retrieved 27 August 2015.
- "Olympian High School - Chula Vista, California - CA - School overview". www.greatschools.org. Retrieved 2016-11-01.
- "Olympic-sized naming bind - The San Diego Union-Tribune". signonsandiego.com. Retrieved 27 August 2015.