Olivers Hill, Victoria
Olivers Hill is a locality located in the City of Frankston, Victoria in Australia. It is the first major rise in terrain along the eastern coastline of Port Phillip, between Melbourne and the Mornington Peninsula. It was named after local Frankston fisherman, James Oliver, who built the first cottage atop the hill in the mid-19th century, from where he kept watch for fish in the waters below.
Olivers Hill from the Frankston Boardwalk.
|LGA(s)||City of Frankston|
It straddles the suburbs of Frankston and Frankston South, however its borders remain loosely defined. Real estate agents in Melbourne generally refer to any property along the Nepean Highway strip from the Frankston Waterfront in the north, to Humphries Road in the South, as being on Olivers Hill.
Olivers Hill is one of the most sought after residential locations in Frankston, and has the most expensive real estate in the entire City of Frankston. It is also considered to have one of the top ten residential views in Melbourne. Property in the locality has sold for between A$3 and A$4 million in 2015, at the same time as the median house price in the suburb of Frankston being A$390,000.
The hill is easily accessible from the Franskton Central Business District (just over 1 km to the north) by car and on foot via the Nepean Highway and from Cliff Road via Kars Street in Frankston South. It can also be reached by bus services 781, 784 and 785, departing from the Young Street public transport terminus in the Frankston CBD. Olivers Hill is also well known among Melbourne cyclists as being the halfway or turn around point for the 85 km ride from St Kilda along Beach Road, a famous Australian cycling route.
- Jones, Michael. Frankston: Resort to City. Allen & Unwin: Sydney. 1989. ISBN 0-04-442114-1
- Keenan, Aileen (10 September 2005). "Sold: the best views money can buy". The Age. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 19 August 2015
- Lim, Ming Haw (6 May 2015). "Clifftop beauty sells for top price". Herald Sun. News Limited. Retrieved 19 August 2015
- Frankston, Victoria. Realestate.com.au. REA Group Ltd. Retrieved 19 August 2015
- "781 Frankston - Mount Martha via Mt Eliza & Mornington". Public Transport Victoria.
- "784 Frankston - Osborne via Mt Eliza & Mornington". Public Transport Victoria.
- "785 Frankston - Mornington East via Mt Eliza & Mornington". Public Transport Victoria.