Oliver Drake (baseball)
Drake with the Baltimore Orioles
|Milwaukee Brewers – No. 51|
January 13, 1987 |
|May 23, 2015, for the Baltimore Orioles|
(through September 24, 2017)
|Earned run average||4.26|
Drake is a graduate of Northfield Mount Hermon School, earning four letters in baseball and three in hockey while a student there. He was a first-team All-CNEPSL as a junior and a senior, winning the Thompson Blanket, Ralph E. Jillson and Nettie M. Johnson Memorial awards as the latter.
After high school, Drake attended the United States Naval Academy and played for the Navy Midshipmen baseball team. He had one of the best freshman pitching seasons in school history, going 3-3 with a 3.22 ERA. He went 6-3 with a 3.70 ERA as a sophomore, having an 8.74 K/9 ratio.
Drake was assigned to Rookie-league Bluefield, then the Bluefield Orioles, pitching in 7 games, going 1-0 with a 0.77 ERA before being promoted to Low-A Aberdeen, pitching in 5 games with a 0.87 ERA. His totals in 2008 were 12 games, going 1-0 with a 0.82 ERA. He spent all of 2009 with Single-A Delmarva, going 8-9 with a 4.34 ERA over 25 games, 24 of them starts. He played all of 2010 with High-A Frederick, going 6-6 with a 4.36 ERA over 24 games. He also played in the Arizona Fall League with Scottsdale, going 1-3 with an 8.38 ERA. He split 2011 with Frederick and Double-A Bowie, while also playing 1 game with Triple-A Norfolk, going 11-8 with a 3.32 ERA over 27 games. He was added to the Orioles' 40-man roster following the season. He had shoulder surgery in 2012. Entering 2014, he was rated the Orioles' 24th-best prospect by Baseball America.
On May 23, 2015, Drake was promoted to the Major League team and made his pitching debut that day. Entering the game in the ninth inning of a scoreless tie against the Miami Marlins, Drake pitched three scoreless innings, allowing only two hits and striking out two in a game the Orioles eventually lost 1-0 in 13 innings. By making his big-league debut, Drake became the second former Naval Academy pitcher to make his Major League debut during the 2015 season, along with Navy alum Mitch Harris of the St. Louis Cardinals.
Drake pitched in five games and 7.2 innings for the Orioles with a 3.52 ERA. On June 3 he was optioned back to the AAA Norfolk Tides. Drake pitched in 13 games for the Orioles in 2015, pitching to a 2.87 ERA in 15 2⁄3 innings. He struck out 17 batters.
On September 23, 2016, Drake pitched one inning of relief in extra innings out of the bullpen for the Orioles. The Orioles would walk it off in the bottom half of the inning, giving Drake his first career victory.
- David Driver For The Capital (July 17, 2014). "Baysox's Drake takes healthy approach in breakout season". capitalgazette.com. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- Bone, Tom (August 15, 2008). "Drake chooses baseball over military future". Bluefield Daily Telegraph. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- "Oliver Drake Bio - NAVYSPORTS.com - The United States Naval Academy Official Athletic Site". navysports.com. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- "INTRIGUING PROSPECT OLIVER DRAKE GRABBING O'S ATTENTION". PressBox Baltimore. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- "Former Navy Pitcher Eyes Career With Orioles". Annapolis, Maryland Patch. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- "Gardner's Oliver Drake finds relief in minors". telegram.com. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- "With his arm healthy again, Baysox's Drake finds relief". capitalgazette.com. May 11, 2014. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- "Minors Q&A: Drake charts course from Navy to majors". New England Baseball Journal. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- WBAL. "Baltimore Orioles sign RHP Oliver Drake". WBALTV. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- Connolly, Dan. "Former Navy pitcher Oliver Drake gets first taste of majors with O's". Retrieved April 14, 2017.
- "Baltimore Orioles vs. Miami Marlins - Box Score - May 23, 2015 - ESPN". Retrieved April 14, 2017.
- "Oliver Drake Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". Retrieved April 14, 2017.
- Sun, Baltimore. "O's call up T.J. McFarland from Triple-A Norfolk, option Oliver Drake to Tides". Retrieved April 14, 2017.
- "Brewers acquire reliever Oliver Drake from O's". Retrieved April 14, 2017.