The lettered olive, Americoliva sayana, is a species of large predatory sea snail, a marine gastropod mollusc in the family Olividae, the olive shells, olive snails, or olives. It is sometimes referred to as Oliva sayana.
- Oliva sayana sarasotensis Petuch & Sargent, 1986
- Oliva sayana sayana Ravenel, 1834
- Oliva sayana texana Petuch & Sargent, 1986
The species' range is from North Carolina to Florida, the Gulf states of North America, including Louisiana and Texas; and further south to the east coast of Mexico, including Campeche State, Yucatán State and Quintana Roo. It may also occur in Brazil.
The lettered olive typically lives in near-shore waters, on shallow sand flats near inlets. The empty shell is occasionally, or sometimes commonly, washed up onto ocean beaches.
The shell of this species can be about 6 cm (2+1⁄4 in) long (maximum reported size reaches 9.1 cm). It is a smooth, shiny, cylindrical-shaped shell with a short spire. The aperture is narrow and extending almost the length of shell, continuing around the bottom and ending in a notch on the other side. The suture is V-cut and deep. The lower part of the whorl is just above where the suture extends outward and then at a sharp shoulder drops into the suture.
The shell coloration can vary from cream to a greyish exterior with reddish-brown zigzag markings. The common name of this species is derived from the darker surface markings that sometimes resemble letters.
Its presence is sometimes detected at very low tides by the trails it leaves when it crawls below the surface on semi-exposed sand flats.
Females lay floating, round egg capsules that are often found in beach drift. Young are free swimming.
Colonists and early Native Americans made jewelry from these shells.
- Bieler R, Bouchet P, Gofas S, Marshall B, Rosenberg G, La Perna R, Neubauer TA, Sartori AF, Schneider S, Vos C, ter Poorten JJ, Taylor J, Dijkstra H, Finn J, Bank R, Neubert E, Moretzsohn F, Faber M, Houart R, Picton B, Garcia-Alvarez O, eds. (2018). "Americoliva sayana (Ravenel, 1834)". MolluscaBase. World Register of Marine Species. Retrieved 28 November 2018.
- Malacolog 4.1.1: Western Atlantic Mollusk Species Database. Retrieved April 2010.
- Hardy, Eddie. "Oliva (Americoliva) sayana". www.gastropods.com. Retrieved 28 November 2018.
- Oliva sayana Ravenel, 1834. Retrieved through: World Register of Marine Species on 26 April 2010.
- "Observations of Americolivia sayana, Research Grade". iNaturalist.org. Retrieved 28 November 2018.
- Lettered Olive, NC Sea Grant