The route uses public roads, public rights of way and some newly created permitted paths. Some sections of the footpath are waymarked by a metal plate attached to wooden posts which show a picture of the cathedral spire.
This is the best guess of the route (clockwise) based on surviving waymarks:
- SU074337 Head down the hill on the footpath, under the railway line then across the river into South Newton.
- SU088344 Climb the hill, passing the communication tower and crossing the A360.
- SU124353 Join the Monarch's Way.
- SU167337 Turn south.
- SU162329 Turn east into Old Malthouse Lane.
- SU170330 Turn south onto the bridleway; the path crosses the A30 and passes south on the hill above Laverstock.
- SU160297 Join the Clarendon Way.
- SU185302 Follow the footpath then the permissive path though the Clarendon Estate.
- SU193280 Turn south and follow Clarendon Lane then Folly Lane.
- SU183268 Turn onto the bridleway and pass south of Whaddon to SU195261. Turn south following approximately the disused railway line.
- SU194238 Turn west then join Witherington Road.
- SU189239 Turn onto the footpath through the woods and cross the river.
- SU176238 Join the Avon Valley Path northwards.
- SU129282 Turn left and head towards Salisbury Racecourse.