Ohanaeze Ndigbo is an apex Igbo socio-cultural group in Nigeria. The group represents all Igbo communities within and outside Nigeria. Igbos by census, represent one of the three largest ethnic groups in Nigeria.
|Headquarters||Park Avenue, Enugu|
|5 states (+ Igbo indigenous communities in Rivers, Delta, Cross River, Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Kogi and Benue states)|
|Primary Contributors - Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu and Imo.|
Although the group is not a political party, part of its objectives of creation is to foster unity among its members in order to better allow them to be representative within the political scenario of Nigeria. The policy is under review as there are some very important issues confronting ndi Igbo, some of which are even threatening their growth which the umbrella group needs to address urgently,
. This initiative was much welcomed considering maximum displacement of the Igbos during the war and its aftermath. An organizational assembly was created, referred to as the Igbo National Assembly (INA). This organization was later banned by the Federal Military Government at the time, probably due to the Government's fear of a grand suspicious agenda being cultivated by the Igbos via the organization; hence, the creation of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, in 1976.
Professor Ben Nwabueze, a foremost constitutional lawyer, assembled prominent Igbo leaders to form the organization of which he emerged the Secretary-General of the organization spanning a period of 20 years.
The organization was effectively championed and supported by the Kingsley Mbadiwe, Dr. Francis Akanu Ibiam, Dr. Michael Iheonukara Okpara, Dr. Pius Okigbo, and Chief Jerome Udorji (who served as the first Secretary General), among other notable Igbo personalities.
Current National Executive CommitteeEdit
- CHIEF Barr. John Nnia Nwodo — President General
- DIG Hillary Opara mni (rtd) — Deputy President General
- Elder Barr. Onuoha Udeka (rtd)2 — Vice President General (Abia)
- Chief Charles Odunukwe — Vice President General (Anambra)
- DR. Sylvanus O. Ebigwei, MON. — Vice President General (Delta)
- Prof. Chigozie N. Ogbu, OFR — Vice president-General (Ebonyi)
- Hon. Igochukwu Okparanma — Vice President—General (Rivers)
- Barr. Uche I. Okwukwu — Secretary-General
- Dr. Solomon N. Ogunji — Deputy Secretary-General
- Chief Chuks Muoma, SAN — National Legal Adviser
- Emeka Festus Ogwu — National Treasurer
- Chief Chief Alphonsus Duru — National Financial Secretary
- Barrister Uche Achi-Okpaga — National. Publicity Secretary
- Chief Eric Ebeh — Asst. Nat. Treasurer
- Chief Barr. Okeagu Ogadah — Assistant National Legal Adviser
- Elder Chris Eluemunoh — Asst. Nat. Fin. Secretary
- Comrade Chuks Ibegbu — Asst. National Pub. Secretary
- Elder Justice R.C. Ajuzieogu — State President (Abia)
- Chief Damian Okeke (Ogene) — State President (Anambra)
- Hon. Henry Uche Nwaokobia — State President (Delta)
- Comrade Boniface Offor — State President (Ebonyi)
- Chief Alex Chiedozie Ogbonnia — State President (Enugu)
- Dr. Ezechi Chukwu — State President (Imo)
- Igo Okparanma (VPG Rivers) — Ag. State President
- Eugene Ibeabuchi — Admin. Secretary
It was the quest to hang on to power and the politicisation of the group that erupted in what analysts regard as an unresolved crisis in Ohaneze Ndigbo during the tenure of Prof. Irukwu from Abia State . This actually led to the breakdown of the association.
- "The Igbo are speaking". Retrieved 2020-09-06.
- Nwanosike Onu (2 October 2009). "Ohaneze Ndigbo: The twists, the turns". The Nation (Nigeria). Retrieved 2010-04-04.