Ogami Island (大神島, Ogami-jima) is one of the islands of the Miyako Islands. It is located about 4km north of Miyako-jima (island) and belongs to Miyakojima City. Miyakojima City was created in 2005 by a merger of many smaller towns located on the island chain. Before the merger, it belonged to Hirara City. The area is 0.24 km2, and the population is 35.
|Area||0.24 km2 (0.093 sq mi)|
|Pop. density||145.83/km2 (377.7/sq mi)|
|Ethnic groups||Ryukyuan, Japanese|
The island has no airport and is not connected by bridge to other nearby islands. The only way to reach the island is by boat. There are four round-trip boat rides per day.
Settlements are concentrated on the south coast of the island, near the port. There is also another settlement near the center of the island, at the highest point.
The population of the islands is approximately 35 people, most of whom are elderly. The island's population is expected to decrease as residents age.
Residents speak the Ogami Dialect, a dialect of Miyakoan that is phonologically different than other Miyakoan dialects. Like Miyakoan itself, the dialect is in danger of dying out as younger residents do not speak it.
- "Ogami Island - VISIT OKINAWA", 2019. Retrieved on 4 Aug 2021.
- "Ogami Island". VISIT OKINAWA JAPAN. Retrieved 2021-08-04.
- "島から出られない…人口20人の切実な問題 沖縄・大神島、旅客船が故障中 | 沖縄タイムス＋プラス ニュース". 沖縄タイムス＋プラス (in Japanese). Retrieved 2021-08-04.
- "大神島│宮古島から4km離島案内". o-gamijima.com. Retrieved 2021-08-04.
- NetCommons (1999-12-27). "南琉球大神島方言の音対応と音変化". 岩手大学教育学部研究年報 = Annual report of the Faculty of Education, University of Iwate (in Japanese). 59 (2): 39–53. ISSN 0367-7370.