Offerton Park is an estate and former civil parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Stockport in Greater Manchester, England, situated to the south-east of Stockport town centre. The parish boundaries exclude the area of Offerton Green, further to the east. At the 2001 census the parish had a population of 3,762.
Attempts at abolitionEdit
In April 2010 Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council received two petitions from residents of the parish calling for its abolition. Under the Local Government and Public Involvement in Health Act 2007 the council was obliged to carry out a community governance review. Consultation showed that about 75% of the area's population favoured abolition, and in a poll held in July 2010 votes chose to abolish the parish council by 275 votes to 139. Stockport Council duly made an order abolishing the parish with effect from 31 March 2011.
The parish council initiated a judicial review, with the High Court ruling in September 2011 that the borough council had acted unlawfully as fewer than 17% of electors had voted so that it could be claimed that "the majority of residents held no strong view either way.." and that there was no way to know whether "the public generally, as opposed to a section of it, wished to see the parish council,or the parish abolished."
Stockport Council was forced to re-establish the parish and parish council, with elections held on 8 December 2011. All ten seats on the parish council were won by the "No More Parish No More Bills" Group, who are pledged to abolish the parish.
- Census 2001
- "The Stockport (Parish) Order 2001 (S.I.2001/2553)" (PDF). Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Greater Manchester. A complete list of orders affecting Greater Manchester from 1973 to the present". Local Government Boundary Commission for England.
- "Local authority to appeal after High Court quashes abolition of parish council". Local Government Lawyer. 9 September 2011. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- "Offerton Parish Poll - Results". Stockport Council. Archived from the original on 10 May 2012. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- "The Metropolitan Borough of Stockport (Reorganisation of Community Governance: Offerton Park) Order 2011" (PDF). Local Government Boundary Commission for England. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- " EWHC 2247". BAILII. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "High Court rules decision to scrap parish council was unlawful". Manchester Evening News. 1 September 2011. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- "Offerton Park Parish Council Election Results". Stockport Council. 10 December 2011. Retrieved 11 June 2012.[dead link]
- Devine, Peter (14 December 2011). "We've won control of the council – let's abolish it!". Stockport Express. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Offerton Park.|