O Dia do Galo
O Dia do Galo ("The Day of Galo") is a 2014 Brazilian documentary film about the 2013 Copa Libertadores Finals. The film follows five supporters of Brazilian football club Atlético Mineiro in the day of the final match of the competition. It was released in Brazilian theatres in 24 July 2015.
Shot in Belo Horizonte, the city in which Clube Atlético Mineiro is based and the venue of the 2013 Copa Libertadores Finals, the documentary follows five supporters of the club (a priest, a bar owner, a sports broadcaster, a musician and a retired worker) in their preparations for the final match of the competition, which Atlético went on to win in dramatic fashion.
Production and releaseEdit
O Dia do Galo was directed by Cris Azzi with support from Coletivo Nitro and Alicate Filmes, totalling a crew of 50 people. It was initially released as a 22-minute short film and made available online, on YouTube, as a way to encourage club players and supporters in their preparation for the 2013 FIFA Club World Cup. In 2014, the documentary version was completed and screened in festivals, and it was released in Brazilian movie theatres in 24 July 2015 (exactly two years after the day it portrays). It was made available on Netflix in December 2015.
The documentary was generally met with positive reviews. Pablo Villaça, film critic for Cinema em Cena, gave the film 4 stars out of 5, stating "it is less about Atlético itself than about the act of rooting [for a football team]". The film ended 2015 as one of the most watched Brazilian films of the year.
- "Documentário "O Dia do Galo" está entre os 20 filmes mais assistidos do brasil" [Documentary "O Dia do Galo" is among the 20 most watched films in Brazil]. MktEsportivo (in Portuguese). 6 August 2015. Retrieved 1 August 2015.
- "Documentário "O Dia do Galo" chega ao Netflix" [Documentary "O Dia do Galo" available on Netflix]. MktEsportivo (in Portuguese). 1 December 2015. Retrieved 1 August 2015.
- Villaça, Pablo (24 July 2015). "O Dia do Galo". Cinema em Cena (in Portuguese). Retrieved 1 August 2016.
- "Retrospectiva 2015: As 30 maiores bilheterias do cinema brasileiro" [2015 retrospective: the 30 biggest box offices in Brazilian cinema]. AdoroCinema (in Portuguese). 3 January 2016. Retrieved 19 July 2016.
- "Filme sobre o Galo na Libertadores 2013 vence Mostra de Tiradentes" [Movie about Galo in the 2013 Libertadores wins Mostra de Tiradentes]. G1 (in Portuguese). 1 February 2015. Retrieved 19 July 2016.