OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media
The OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media functions as a watchdog on media developments in all 57 participating member states of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE). The representative provides early warning on violations of freedom of expression and promotes full compliance with OSCE principles and commitments regarding freedom of expression and press freedom.
In cases where serious violations have occurred, the Representative seeks direct contacts with the offending state and other parties involved, assesses the facts and assists in resolving problems. The Representative collects and receives information on the situation of the media from a variety of sources, including participating OSCE States, non-governmental organizations and media organizations. The Representative meets with member Governments.
Each year, they issue a joint declaration calling attention to worldwide free expression concerns.
The OSCE Representative is one of the four International Mechanisms for Promoting Freedom of Expression. The others are:
- UN Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Opinion and Expression
- OAS Special Rapporteur for Freedom of Expression
- African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights Special Rapporteur for Freedom of Expression
Past and present representativesEdit
- "About >> Mandate", OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media
- "Q&A with New OSCE Rep on Freedom of the Media - Global Investigative Journalism NetworkGlobal Investigative Journalism Network". gijn.org. Retrieved 2018-05-11.
- "Q&A: Impunity and journalist safety are priority says new OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media, Harlem Désir". cpj.org. Retrieved 2018-05-11.
- "OSCE – Freedom of the press – Visit to France by Dunja Mijatovic, OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media (15.11.16)". France Diplomatie :: Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs. Retrieved 2018-05-11.
|OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media on #SOFJO, The OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media, February 23, 2018|