||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (April 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Birth name||Norris Wilson|
April 4, 1938|
|Died||June 8, 2017
|Occupation(s)||Singer-songwriter, record producer|
Wilson wrote or co-wrote numerous hit songs during more than 40 years in the industry, including songs for David Houston, Jean Shepard, Charlie Rich, Charley Pride, George Jones, and Tammy Wynette, among many others. He also produced or co-produced songs for dozens of artists, including Joe Stampley, Margo Smith, Sara Evans, Kenny Chesney, and Shania Twain.
Earlier in his career, Wilson also charted ten singles on the Billboard magazine Hot Country Songs chart. The biggest of his three Top 40 hits was "Do It to Someone You Love," which reached No. 20 in 1970.
He died on June 8, 2017 in Nashville from heart failure.
|1969||Dedicated To: Only You||40||Smash|
|US Country||CAN Country|
|1969||"Only You"||68||—||Dedicated To: Only You|
|"Love Comes but Once in a Lifetime"||44||—|
|"Shame on Me"||56||—||singles only|
|1970||"Do It to Someone You Love"||20||—|
|"Old Enough to Want To (Fool Enough to Try)"||53||—|
|1972||"Everybody Needs Lovin'"||28||47|
|1973||"Darlin' Raise the Shade"||64||—|
|"Ain't It Good (To Feel This Way)"||35||82|
|1974||"Loneliness (Can Break a Good Man Down)"||96||—|
|1977||"So Close Again" (w/ Margo Smith)||43||—||Happiness (Margo Smith album)|
Awards and recognitionEdit
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. p. 472. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- Betts, Stephen (2017-06-08). "Norro Wilson, Nashville Songwriter and Producer, Dead at 79". Rolling Stone.
- Hight, Michael. "Norro Wilson". In The Encyclopedia of Country Music. Paul Kingsbury, Editor. New York: Oxford University Press. 1998. p. 596.
- Hyatt, Wesley. The Billboard Book of No. 1 Adult Contemporary Hits. New York: Billboard Publications. 1999.
- Roland, Tom, "The Billboard Book of Number One Country Hits" (Billboard Books, Watson-Guptill Publications, New York), 1991 (ISBN 0-82-307553-2)