Nikolay Dimitrievich Zelinsky (Russian: Николай Дмитриевич Зелинский; 6 February n.s., 1861 – 31 July 1953) was a Russian and Soviet chemist of Ukrainian origin, an academician of the Academy of Sciences of USSR (1929).
Zelinsky in 1938
|Born||6 February 1861|
|Died||31 July 1953 (aged 92)|
|Alma mater||University of Novorossiysk|
|Known for||Hell-Volhard-Zelinsky halogenation|
|Awards||Lenin order 1940, 1945 and 1946 |
Stalin Prize 1942, 1946 and 1948
|Institutions||University of Moscow, Moscow Institute of Fine Chemical Technologies|
|Academic advisors||Johannes Wislicenus|
|Notable students||Alexander Nesmeyanov|
Zelinsky studied at the University of Odessa and at the universities of Leipzig and Göttingen in Germany. Zelinsky was one of the founders of theory on organic catalysis. He is the inventor of the first effective filtering activated charcoal gas mask in the world (1915).
Zelinsky studied at the University of Tiraspol, University of Odessa, and abroad at the University of Leipzig and University of Göttingen with Victor Meyer he received his master and his Ph.D from the University of Novorossiysk in 1888 and 1891. He was appointed professor at the University of Moscow in 1893, where worked till his retirement with the exceptions of the years between 1911 and 1917. His main research area was the chemistry of cyclic hydrocarbons.
The Zelinskiy Institute of Organic Chemistry of Russian Academy of Sciences is named after him.
- ЗЕЛИНСКИЙ, Николай Дмитриевич. Moscow State University
- НАМЁТКИН, Сергей Семенович. Moscow State University
- Kozhevnikov, A.B. (2004). Stalin's great science: the times and adventures of Soviet physicists (illustrated, reprint ed.). Imperial College Press. pp. 10–11. ISBN 978-1-86094-419-2. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- Weiner, Douglas R. (2002). A little corner of freedom : Russian nature protection from Stalin to Gorbachev. Berkeley, Calif.: University of California Press. p. 125. ISBN 9780520232136.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nikolay Dimitrievich Zelinsky.|
- A. N. Nesmeyanov, A. V. Tophiev, B. A. Kazansky and N. I. Shuikin (1953). "To the memory of academician Nikolai Dmitrievich Zelinsky". Russian Chemical Bulletin. 2 (5): 683–690. doi:10.1007/BF01178843.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- S. F. Birch; Delaby, R.; Birch, S. F. (1954). "Obituary notices: ... Nicholas Dimitrivich Zelinsky, 1861–1952". Journal of the Chemical Society. 2 (5): 4059–4064. doi:10.1039/JR9540004059.